BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done some searches and there are multiple references to Smartire but not much on battery service life. I see one suggesting 60k miles but I am looking for anyone that has experienced or heard of end-of-life for any Smartire installations. Manual says 7 seasons and average M/C runs about 4K according to KBB..... so 7 seasons times 4K may be average for US or the northeast. Not usually here with BMW riders but these systems are designed for all types of riders.

I installed my Smartire in early spring of 2006 and I have 45K on the units and the wheel sensors seem to not be found sometimes starting late last year and would go missing in action more frequently. They usually show up later but I am wondering if my battery life is winding down.

I am about to replace both tires in the next month and I wonder if I should be looking to make a preemptive replacement of the system. I don't know what I will replace it with right know as I am just looking for experience. I have come to rely on my TPS and I will replace it should it fail but doing so out of the tire replacement window significantly adds to the cost. It might also be more convenient doing a maintenance replacement especially if I am entering into the 'marginal zone'.

What is the collective experience of this group show?

How far can we go? :cool:

·
Miles of Smiles
1,054 Posts
Similar question regarding battery life. Just a thought. Has anyone tried to open up one of these little suckers to see if the battery is replaceable ? Sure I know they are covered with some type of epoxy but they had to be manufactured at some time, even if the battery is soldered onto a chip, I am going to try a rebuild when it stops. What ever is possible.
Really like my smart tyre system, most inconvenient for the company to stop manufacturing the M/C units. Saved my life once already, sure has paid for itself already.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,090 Posts
I cut into a failed unit on my wifes Town & Country and was able to remove the battery from uder the epoxy. Unfortunately the battery was fine but the unit wasn't. I have not been into the Smartire units... yet. Mine are still going after 5 years.

·
Miles of Smiles
1,054 Posts
Thanks John. IIRC with my documentation it mentioned 5-7 years, but I guess that would depend on usage. Smart tire as a company has been very helpful even notifying me of an upgrade to the sending units and replacing FOC. Perhaps they could be persuaded to run another batch to cater for their old M/C customers. Failing that just have to dig in when needed and take a look.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
On my 5th year with sensors and sitting within 4th set of tires still working fine.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Can't really speak to battery life as I rotate between 2-3 set of sending units. The oldest
is at least 6 years old. I do have several old/broken units that I plan on disassembling
whan I get time.

Dan Martin

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
I pulled the correspondence I have regarding the SmartTire recall back in '04 and it mentions an average life span for the sending/sensor units at ~7 years. I think ole Toad is just about ready for a new set!! Luckily, thanks to Dan, we've got a 'new in the foil' set ready to go. Doesn't have a date on the package, butt may have inside - dunno. Least they're unused.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Dick said:
I pulled the correspondence I have regarding the SmartTire recall back in '04 and it mentions an average life span for the sending/sensor units at ~7 years. I think ole Toad is just about ready for a new set!! Luckily, thanks to Dan, we've got a 'new in the foil' set ready to go. Doesn't have a date on the package, butt may have inside - dunno. Least they're unused.
After having the Smartire system (recommended on this site, I think by the other Dan) on my bike for the last few years, I can not imagine not knowing the tire pressures as I leave on a ride. It became the most important option on my K1200LT. The new lucky owner who is picking up the bike tonight, gets it and it and probably has a few more years on the batteries.

Did anyone ever determine if the car or truck sensors would work with the bikes monitor? Seems that the 4 tire sensors would give you a few spares that could be sold or swapped.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts