BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think the impact of smart phones will be?
Do you think it will it replace other devices?

It is a portable computer after all. I take my notebook on trips to access email and the weather, and store or show digital pictures. My android phone can do that easily. Well almost I don't think it can run map source.

Will it replace my digital pocket camera? Almost. If I took along a DSLR on a trip I surely wouldn't need the pocket camera.

We have seen price drops from Gamin due to competition with smart phones??
I would use the smart phone GPS in a car. (if I new I had the coverage to the destination).

Will the ipad or tablets replace laptop, notebooks, or netbooks? I would be worried if I were Microsoft.

What do you think? :)

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
mwnahas said:
What do you think the impact of smart phones will be?
Do you think it will it replace other devices?

It is a portable computer after all. I take my notebook on trips to access email and the weather, and store or show digital pictures. My android phone can do that easily. Well almost I don't think it can run map source.

Will it replace my digital pocket camera? Almost. If I took along a DSLR on a trip I surely wouldn't need the pocket camera.

We have seen price drops from Gamin due to competition with smart phones??
I would use the smart phone GPS in a car. (if I new I had the coverage to the destination).

Will the ipad or tablets replace laptop, notebooks, or netbooks? I would be worried if I were Microsoft.

What do you think? :)
*MY* personal prediction is that in a few years we will see a convergence of all personal computing devices, cameras, phone, PC, ... into one device. Storage is already no problem any more. I currently carry a phone with 64GB of storage, and even that will be lowly in a few years time.

The only thig that we are currently still missing is that the processors for phone are (still) a little bit underpowered for general computing devices, and the phones do not yet have the ability to "cast" their monitor to another device.

Once those two problems are solved, I agree with you: Watch out M$.

I can see general purpose docking stations in a few years that allow you to cast your monitor to a bigger (19-24") monitor, let you connect your mouse and Keyboard to the phone and Then you really don;t need any PC any more.

Heck with USB3.0 we are already there, that it would be possible, the question is only when the first devices come onto the market that are able to do it.

One of the biggest problems though will be security. How do you educate the avg. user that they have to encrypt their data on their phone? That will create a lot of headache in the commercial sector, but just as the commercial sector had and still has problems supporting "normal" smartphones THEY WILL ADAPT, JUST A FEW YEARS LATER, WHEN THERE IS NO OTHER WAY ANY MORE OF DOING BUSINESS.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow Andy, your answer was so good nobody could argue. LOL

·
Registered
444 Posts
The only thig that we are currently still missing is that the processors for phone are (still) a little bit underpowered for general computing devices, and the phones do not yet have the ability to "cast" their monitor to another device.

Once those two problems are solved, I agree with you: Watch out M$.

[/QUOTE]

Even these two issues are quicky being solved. Both the HTC EVO and the Samsung Epic allow you connect the "phone" to a tv to watch movies that are on the phone. The EVO thorugh HDMI, and the Epic does it wirelessly. Processors are becoming faster and faster at a remarkable pace, I don't think it will be long before they are fast enough for most folks day to day needs.

When Travelling a carry a netbook and my phone, I foresee in a few years I will not carry the netbook anymore, everything will be done on the phone, as you say with an external keyboard you plug in.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
At times, I've run my original Moto DROID at 1.4Ghz. (It was released running at 550Mhz.) That's not too shabby ... and it's over a year old. We'll see 2.xGHz processors soon enough.

In Feb/Mar, I'm looking at replacing this DROID with the latest offerings at Verizon. Probably an LG LTE/4G Android phone. I'm using my laptop less and less with each passing month.

As Andy said, it's not going to be long before we're all just docking our phones, and the PC/Laptop will be done away with, especially for home/travel use. But for business, we'll see desktops/laptops for quite some time yet. Us IT guys will still need to control that environment. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
living_free said:
Even these two issues are quicky being solved. Both the HTC EVO and the Samsung Epic allow you connect the "phone" to a tv to watch movies that are on the phone. The EVO thorugh HDMI, and the Epic does it wirelessly. Processors are becoming faster and faster at a remarkable pace, I don't think it will be long before they are fast enough for most folks day to day needs.
The way I see it is that before this can become reality we (the industry) has to establish a standard for docking stations, wireless or wirebound so that Joe can dock his LG and the Droid and I can dock my Nexus S and my wife can dock her Galaxy all at the same docking station/monitor/keyboard without too much trouble. It is this ubiquity and ubiquitous functionality we need before a picture as painted above can become reality. Grandma needs to be able to do it and it just has to work. Even todays PCs are too complicated for a wide variety of folks out there. With smart phones that can change if the industry is smart.

At the same time, when this happens we will see new Microsofts develop. If the current M$ doesn't do a 180 very soon, they will be loosing so much ground in the market that they will not be able to recover from it in the consumer market. The current Win7 phones are no match for either the i-phones or Android phones, and as far as I can see from recent Market studies they continue to loose ground and momentum.

One of the really important reasons is that Android can be had for free. No licensing fees, no nothing, and if you implement a full Google experience as a manufacturer not only is the OS free, you get even paid for doing so. The more phones you sell the more you get paid by Google. I have not seen lately that M$ pays manufacturers to use their products. So, from a manufacturers standpoint creating a Win7 device is not really an enticing strategy.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Commonality of plug-in devices to connect to the various OS's, like the BlueTooth, will be the bridge between peripherals and platforms.....the trend began with IR....remember when you used to get up off the sofa/lounge chair to change the channel?

next Gen = BlueFang....like bluetooth...only sharper and can plug into anything :p

next-next Gen = BlueSpike.....it'll be the death of BlueFang :rolleyes:

·
Registered
912 Posts
Yes, I think in a very few years, most of the things we do on computers will be done on tablets like the iPad and phones like the Droid or iPhone. It does seem to be an arena that M$ does not seem able to crack, but then, other than mice, they never were much for hardware.

(Okay, I know I may have bruised the Zune fans who seem to be in such ample supply on this board.)

I agree with Andy about the need for universal docking stations. Batteries cannot keep up with what devices are capable of for long, and while I like Swype, it is not that fast nor is it suited for typing much longer that what SMS or twitter allow. The iPad and the other tablets are not any good at touch typing. I think if St. Steven (Steve Jobs to you Zune fans) was not so adverse to FM on the iPod and keyboards and external display connections for the iPad, Apple's market share would be larger still and we would be a lot closer to what Andy has been writing about.

But there is the mental barrier too. The economy seems to have brought the 1950s - 60's style of management to many corporations. More than one large US firm has backed away from remote workers and distributed locations. And that kind of mentality is unlikely to push for open computing on phones and tablets. You have to believe in mobile computing to make that happen. In that respect, IBM and GE are much farther along than M$. Neither of those two companies has seen the talent drain that M$ has.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Power/Battery Life,

Is a real pain, I'm charging my Android every two days, and if I turn on GPS and the bells and whistles, it's dead in a couple of hours. My other devices last longer, not much, but longer.

Can't replace an optical zoom on a camera, picture quality not as good. My old 3.2 Mg Olympus camera takes better pictures than my Android, my wife happy snapper 10Mg, and my current Sony 7.2 mg happy snapper.

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
My L/T is seeing less and less use, since I switched to a Droid O/S, on the Verizon network. 4G is dropping, so I continue to see upgrades and consolidation of devices.

The new Windoz mobile cp is still a joke. Same issues with "freezing," just not as bad. So I agree market share will continue to shrink. I could not see a more fitting fate....

I have an old Sony 4MP cam, but my 8MP cam on my Droid takes better pics. So the old Sony will become a toy for the kids.

The secret to a droid's short battery life is to upgrade to a higher MAH battery. This had additional bennies, also. The new battery comes with a thicker back-plate, of course. This makes the cp thicker, fitting my clumsy hands much better. Also, combined with a clear screen protector, this cp is nearly impossible to break now--in case you all the sudden feel the need to roll around on the ground--which sometimes happens! :D

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Actually the secret to better battery life to turn off 3G or even 4G unless you really need it. There are apps exactly for that out there and for a reason. IN all of my phones as of late the biggest sucker of power is the 3G radio. So, unless you are surfing RIGHT NOW, turn off the 3G radio and have it connect with 2G or even slower. You'll still get your email, you can still do everything but with MUCH less drain on the battery.

With 3G on my N900 doesn't last a whole day, with 3G off restricted to 2G it lasts easily 2 days, and with the data connection off and only turn of the data connection when I need it (thats how I am using the phone, because I kn ow when I have time to look at emails or something and then it takes only a minute or so until the email arrives) So anyway with the data connection only on when I need it it lasts 3 to 4 days depending on use and selected data connection (again the 3G sucks MUCH more power)

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Interesting thread. I picked up a droid x and I have to say, I love it. The only thing I don't like is that I'm having a little trouble with my email service, which doesn't like to interface with much. Hotmail and the mandatory gmail ( why is that anyway?) Have no such issues and work really well on it. This thing will do pretty much everything; Orbits, banking, paypal, weather, web, gps, flashlight, camera, mp3's, most common video types, etc., etc. Bluetooth it to my home pc and back stuff up, transfer files and the like. It really works so well. There needs to be a holographic display for video conferencing and some stereo speakers for watching movies though...oh, and its on verizon....all you art people know the value of that I'm sure.

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
KMC1 said:
Interesting thread. I picked up a droid x and I have to say, I love it. The only thing I don't like is that I'm having a little trouble with my email service, which doesn't like to interface with much. Hotmail and the mandatory gmail ( why is that anyway?) Have no such issues and work really well on it. This thing will do pretty much everything; Orbits, banking, paypal, weather, web, gps, flashlight, camera, mp3's, most common video types, etc., etc. Bluetooth it to my home pc and back stuff up, transfer files and the like. It really works so well. There needs to be a holographic display for video conferencing and some stereo speakers for watching movies though...oh, and its on verizon....all you art people know the value of that I'm sure.
Having experience with all the different email systems, I can say that Gmail is superior. The WORST was Yahoo! Shameful service.

The seamless integration of the different Gmail functions, including instant access to you calender is amazing. Thank you Google for making it EASY, even for us morons! :eek:

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
KMC1 said:
--------------------------------------and the mandatory gmail ( why is that anyway?) -----------------------------------.
That is an easy one. Android is Google, gmail is Google. They had a real reason to interconnect the two, all in the same house.

Worked great for me, as i had switched to gmail about 4 years ago. When we bought our Android phones, gave the salesman our gmail addresses, had our mail up in less than 3 minutes. Seamless, kinda like Apple stuff. Some of the same benefit of Apple, with a far more open (and cheaper) system.

the iPhones are nice, but Android is kicking their butts. Basically for the same reasons Mac will never get much more market share against Windows (currently less than 3%), no matter how good it is.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Ahhhh...so that's the connection....I didn't realize android was/is google's platform... I thought android was an open source platform that was adopted by the phone manufacturers. Learn something new everyday :)
I do agree that the gmail does work really well too. I interface it with outlook on my home pc so I can get all of my email in one place. The droid x does that automatically, which I like.
They (smart phones) really are amazing in their capability.....I hardly even use my home pc anymore since I got the droid. Some more processor power, and some refining and we'll probably stop using home pc's altogether very soon.
I'm really looking forward to an app that will hold my credit/banking info and allow me to swipe my phone instead of carrying everything in my wallet.

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
KMC1 said:
.....I interface it with outlook on my home pc so I can get all of my email in one place. The droid x does that automatically, which I like......
Gmail has been 99% flawless--as opposed to, say, Yahoo where i received multiple "error" codes daily.

You can eliminate Outlook and just use Gmail--which is a better program, anyway. I removed Outlook from my PC. With great pleasure, ANOTHER M/S program I do NOT need! :D

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Can't we just go back to the string and cans? :histerica

Ditto on the Android X, it's a great phone with tons of unlimited capabilities. I doubt I will ever know everything about it but like some have mentioned before, you can just about rid yourself of your laptop, GPS, MP3 and Satellite radio with this thing!

Like Joe said, with business it is still nice to have the laptop.

Good day y'all! :D

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I will just add a note regarding the Droid X. I can't speak for the other Droids, but I suspect it's a similar issue.
When you initially set up the phone, if you plan to use google calendar and contacts, make SURE you accept the options to synch your accounts with your phone.
If you don't, you have to reset the phone to factory fresh (essentially wipe it completely clean) and start over.
It's a huge PITA if you already have a bunch of stuff set up (like the bartender app and whatnot :p ) to go back and reset the entire phone, just to get the calendar to synch.

Don't ask how I know. :eek:

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
pkpr1998 said:
Can't we just go back to the string and cans?.....
Sure you can.....Just buy the new Windoz phone. :D

If I were Bill Gates, I'd give away everything also! :eek:

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
jayjacobson said:
Gmail has been 99% flawless--as opposed to, say, Yahoo where i received multiple "error" codes daily.

You can eliminate Outlook and just use Gmail--which is a better program, anyway. I removed Outlook from my PC. With great pleasure, ANOTHER M/S program I do NOT need! :D
I have used Outlook Express as my email client for years, and still use it with Gmail. I use the web access to gmail when traveling, or anywhere I need to check email when not at home, but at home I still use the POP access to gmail so that all my mail is downloaded as always. I still like the Outlook Express method of handling my email, with dozens of folders that mail is automatically sorted into upon download. I do NOT like the gmail web access way of handling mail at all. Way too hard to find earlier email, and no good "sort" feature. Their "conversations" method just plain sucks as far as I am concerned.

One main reason I have not yet upgraded to Windows 7 is that it no longer uses Outlook Express. In the near future I will have to try the replacement, Windows Live Mail. It is supposed have an interface somewhat similar to Outlook Express though. Can you spell trepidation? I thought you could. :rotf:

Has anyone switched from OE to Live Mail? If so, how was the transition?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts