BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I refueled today it took the gas gauge several minutes before it moved from its near-empty indicator. Once it started to move, it took about 30 minutes to show "full", gradually creeping upward. The OBC acted the same way; I left it on Distance to Empty and actually watched it count UP from 20 miles to 265 miles. This is the first time I've seen this; usually, after a fill-up, the gauge shows full instantly.

Any ideas why this would happen?

·
Premium Member
3,872 Posts
Your fuel sending unit's sensor rod got bent. Have you noticed difficulty getting your gas cap off due to suction?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Gas Gauge & BC Delay

I experienced identical symptoms on my 1997. Sometimes gauge would register full immediately upon turning on the key, and sometimes it would take half an hour to gradually creep back to full reading. Meantime, the trip computer readings are off as well. It happened to act up as I was on my way to dealer for service appointment, and I was able to show him a full tank of full and a half full reading. He was not surprised by it, and replaced the fuel gauge sensor tube on the spot. Has been working fine since that warranty repair.

·
Premium Member
7,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
spaul said:
I experienced identical symptoms on my 1997. Sometimes gauge would register full immediately upon turning on the key, and sometimes it would take half an hour to gradually creep back to full reading. Meantime, the trip computer readings are off as well. It happened to act up as I was on my way to dealer for service appointment, and I was able to show him a full tank of full and a half full reading. He was not surprised by it, and replaced the fuel gauge sensor tube on the spot. Has been working fine since that warranty repair.
Jerry: no problem taking the fill cap off, ever.

Spaul: Was that an expensive repair? (I'm out of warranty)

·
Registered
507 Posts
hschisler said:
After I refueled today it took the gas gauge several minutes before it moved from its near-empty indicator. Once it started to move, it took about 30 minutes to show "full", gradually creeping upward. The OBC acted the same way; I left it on Distance to Empty and actually watched it count UP from 20 miles to 265 miles. This is the first time I've seen this; usually, after a fill-up, the gauge shows full instantly.

My bike did the same thing the first few times I filled it up when it was new. It then corrected itself and has worked okay ever since. I usually fill up while the bike is on the center stand. Maybe your issue will clear itself up after a few gas fillups.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
I see this issue with my 05 when I use the kill switch to turn off the bike (so i don't have to use the fob to restart) and fill it up. Takes several miles to start the slow progression to full. If I turn it off with the key and fill up, it shows full when I turn the key back on. I figured that it was just a "quirk" of the computer and sensors.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I had the same problem after I ran the bike almost dry and left it on the sidestand for the night ... next morning this happened. It happened only that one time.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,167 Posts
Howard,

That happened to me once - about 15K ago and has not returned since. I was ready to take it apart and check it out but it didn't ever do it again.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
hschisler said:
Jerry: no problem taking the fill cap off, ever.

Spaul: Was that an expensive repair? (I'm out of warranty)
You can probably buy one from one of our used parts vendors. Once you get the stingray off it should be easy to replace.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Mine does it sometimes. Maybe once every 10 fills.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
A leetle off-topic, but...

jhsonderb said:
I usually fill up while the bike is on the center stand.
You can get almost an entire gallon more fuel in your LT if you fill it up whilst on the side stand. Just some food for thought... (The LT has a very oddly-shaped fuel tank.)

·
Registered
507 Posts
messenger13 said:
You can get almost an entire gallon more fuel in your LT if you fill it up whilst on the side stand. Just some food for thought... (The LT has a very oddly-shaped fuel tank.)
Thanks...I'll keep that in mind when I tour toward the West coast during '2008. I recall some pretty long distances between gas stations starting in N. Dakota and Montana. I'm thinking Idaho, Nevada, and eastern Oregon may be have a scarcity of gas stations particularly when using the local roads.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,167 Posts
alabrew said:
I see this issue with my 05 when I use the kill switch to turn off the bike (so i don't have to use the fob to restart) and fill it up.
You can re-program the alarm so you don't have to use the fob to start each time.

Alarm

·
Registered
162 Posts
Sensor Rod

Over the last few months, my gas gauge has stopped going up to the full mark. Maybe 7/8ths on a good day, usually it goes a shade over 3/4. I do not have difficulty removing the gas cap nor has there ever been the tell tale "whoosh" when opening the cap. The last few weeks the low fuel light comes on and when I fill up (on the side stand) it only takes 3.7 gallons to fill the tank. That seems a bit premature (and the low fuel light wouldn't come on before until I was down about 5 gallons). Am I getting in to an electronic problem or could a bent sensor rod be the cause? My 24k service is around the corner for my '04 LT so the tear down will be forthcoming. Thanks as always for your advice.

·
Registered
96 Posts
hschisler said:

My 07 has started doing that last fill. Till then, it worked great. I thought maybe it was a low battery problem.

·
Premium Member
7,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Interesting answers, everybody. Thanks.

A couple of additional notes I thought of:
  • I always fill on the side stand (thanks, Joe).
  • This same symptom happened once previously, many moons ago, but not until this last fill-up. I had forgotten about that.
  • 90% of the time at a gas station I kill the engine by deploying the side stand (as opposed to the ignition switch or on/off switch).
If it continues to be an issue I'll probably have the dealer replace/repair it. It sounds like it's not an expensive proposition.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My '06 has intermittently displayed the same error in fuel level (slow to show full, sometimes has not ever gone all the way up before being used - while on a tank to tank road trip)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts