BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know the LT is big, heavy and unwieldy at slow speeds.
So what about manually pushing the bike around? I now only weigh a buck fiddy so there is no way I could counterbalance the LT if I am walking beside it and it starts to lean away from me. And leaning it towards me enough to ensure it doesn't tip away could end up with the bike on top of me.

Is there any techniques you use to move the bike around manually?
I resort to sitting on it and duck walking but even that gets sketchy quickly if there is uneven or loose ground.

I was in a unique situation where I was bringing the LT into a high bay, but could not run the engine. Maybe this happens so rarely it's not a concern for anyone.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I sit on it and walk it to back it into my garage either at the front or back of the garage and use the same process to get out of the garage. Otherwise, park smart and let gravity help you. Next, use the reverse if needed (although I have only used it twice so far) and baby it in 1st. Smart parking really does help. Walking beside may be possible but if she starts to tip, it would be all over.

·
Registered
473 Posts
As the Fonz would always say "Sit on it''. And also use the right foot wear. The only time I stand beside it is to put it on the centre stand and even then I don't make any sudden or hasty moves.
I bought myself a new pair of boots recently. They are Australian made and are called Johnny Rebs. They have a thicker sole and I higher heal and give you much better contact with the ground.

·
Registered
315 Posts
If you are moving the bike while standing it’s good to have the side stand fully deployed so she can’t fall on you.

Reactions: tvguy

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
When I had my LT, I would walk it on the right side with the side stand down. If it fell to the left, the side stand would catch it and my body would prevent it from falling to the right. One caution on this technique...make sure you don't accidentally catch the side stand and have it retract on you. If this happens, you're now standing on the right side of the bike with the side stand up...that's a bit of a challenge to redeploy the stand.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
The least risky approach is always going to be sitting on it using your legs as outriggers.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
I alway push, never ride, the LT onto the lift. Warning by the Indy I bought the lift from. I just stand on the left and push her up. I can gauge it’s balance by how much weight I have. Much easier with the K100’s...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts