BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find any mention of Slipstreamer Windshields. They are around a $100 from http://www.chromeworld.com/ Has anyone tried them? I know they're thin .177" acrylic and for sure not as good as polycarbonate, but for $100...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have one and was a little concerned that I wouldn't like it but for the difference in price I could afod to take a chance. I elected to get one of the smoked ones which also had me concerned. I was pleasantly surprised and so far happy with the purchase. I only have a couple hundred miles on it but so far thumbs up . The fit and finish are good with good optical clarity. I personally prefer to look over the windshield but when I put it up for protection from rain it is fine and the smoked version is very slight. I have read many reviews on products and I am probably not as discriminating as some of our members so if you live on the East Coast you can check mine out if you like. I will be at VIR this coming weekend for the ASRA races.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BMWROLLIN said:
I have one and was a little concerned that I wouldn't like it but for the difference in price I could afod to take a chance. I elected to get one of the smoked ones which also had me concerned. I was pleasantly surprised and so far happy with the purchase. I only have a couple hundred miles on it but so far thumbs up . The fit and finish are good with good optical clarity. I personally prefer to look over the windshield but when I put it up for protection from rain it is fine and the smoked version is very slight. I have read many reviews on products and I am probably not as discriminating as some of our members so if you live on the East Coast you can check mine out if you like. I will be at VIR this coming weekend for the ASRA races.
Thanks BMWROLLIN that's exactly the response I was looking for. I too was thinking about getting the tinted one so this really helps me make up my mind. I'm not sure how much longer I will have this bike so spending $$$ on it is hard to do. Thanks again for your feedback.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BMWROLLIN How did the Slipstream windshield compare dimensionally to the original. The reason I ask is that in the picture on their web site it would appear that it is cut narrower than the stock shield.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have one on mine. Bought the bike used, had the short stock one on. Was totally useless to me. I found that it looked narrower, but because it is so much taller it was just an illusion. It's the same width, or at least pretty damn close to it. It's served me well so far, especially for what I paid for it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I too believe it to be an illusion. It is cut slightly different at the top corners but the overall width is very close. As I indicated I only have several hundred miles with the shield and am satisfied with the fit, finish, and protection that the shield provides.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for you feedback I found one for less than $100 Std. Tint at chrome-addition.com
I'll be ordering it tomorrow

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well if it turns out to be a POS then I'm out a hundred bucks. Wouldn't be the first nor probably be the last of my money pissed away on a bike. Thanks again for helping me out. This forum has made owning this bike tolerable. I'll probably jinks it but thanks to all you guys, and some of my own engineering, I think I've finally fixed all (except for the radio) the things that BMW refuses to acknowledge they screwed up and it's actually going to be a very reliable bike. At least now If I do end up selling it I can do so with a clear conscience.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Initial Impression Re: Slipstreamer Windshield

I received the Slipstreamer in perfect condition and put it on Saturday. It took 10 minutes and fit perfectly. Initial impression is that it is more than I had hoped for $89, and better than the stock shield. It’s thinner, lighter, more rigid and does not flex around as much as the original shield. It just might be the best $89 I’ve spent on this bike yet. I’ll report back in a year and let everyone know how it has held up. I got the tinted stock size.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Would you mind getting a measure on the height of the 'stock' slipstream. Best I can tell somewhere along the years stock height went to a short model so I'm trying to determine if the Stock height of the slipstream equals the stock height of my 2002 or some other year.

Thanks

-Preston

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The shield measures 24” which is also per their web site. With the shield all the way down it’s 16.63” from the horizontal surface just above the radio LCD display to the top of the shield. Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Thanks every time I googled it I always ended up at resellers and couldn't find the height mentioned ... knock myself on the back of the head for not looking for the manufactures site! Thanks much for the measure...

-Preston

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, sometimes just because it says so on the web site doesn't mean its so. Always better to have someone double check what is claimed. I'm 6'1" and the "standard" (24") is what I would choose again. I like to look well over the shield and the tinted looks really nice on the bike.

·
Registered
14 Posts
After having a Cee Baileys windshield with horrible distortion, I had a mishap at a gas station which caused me to search for a new windshield.(I will explain privately if you want to hear about my cracked rib and bruised ego). I read all of the forums here, looked at company websites, and decided to take a chance on a Slipstreamer windshield for less than $100. I had concerns, but as others have mentioned, even if it was awful, it would only be a $100 experiment. I got the shield within two days, mounted it and took it for a ride. It is head and shoulders better than the old Cee Baileys I had on there. The clarity is excellent, and it is plenty rigid. I can't believe anyone would consider paying $400 for another type. The Slipstreamer is a total winner!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've got about 1000 miles on mine now and I couldn't be happier. I'm not easily impressed and time will tell if that remains to be true. I have the tinted version and it just looks perfect on the bike. Chrome Addiction less than $89 delivered. I wish they made seats.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I just called Chrome Addictions and ordered my windshield. During the ordering process, I asked the person taking the order what size the "standard" windshield was -- he called the warehouse and was told it was 24". So whoever mentioned that it was 24" was correct.

Total cost was $94.14 as I had to pay $7.99 for shipping. So for less than $100, I get to replace my 17" windshield (I am 6-2) for a taller one that could prove to make the ride more enjoyable. Hope this helps.

Glenn

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
I placed a SlipStreamer windshield on the Bike this weekend replacing the OEM. Fit and Finish are nice, the sides have a slightly different cut than stock, but the clarity is great, I can actually look through the windshield. I don't notice much of a difference in air flow over the stock so thats a plus and you cant beat the $86.00 price tag. I may try one of the fancier shields later, but wasn't in the budget this year.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004O42JDE/ref=oh_o02_s00_i00_details

·
Registered
58 Posts
Considering purchasing a tinted slipstreamer. Can anyone provide a photo of one on their bike?

·
Registered
57 Posts
it is the first upgrade i done on my ride and i would say, $$ well spend... one little trouble is the previous have dropped the bike on its right side and i am not too sure is it the main cause of the screen not being able to lowered fully into position as it will be obstruct by the fairing... it happens with the original screen before i removed it too so it should not be the new screen is off specs....

secondly, how to dispel rain drops while riding under rain!!

now i am wondering how to get it lowered all the way...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts