BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My clutch is slipping under hard acceleration. I rode in the Natural Bridge Virginia area over the weekend and everything was fine. I droned up I-81 to get home, and twenty miles from home, I down shifted for a ramp and then grabbed a handful of throttle to merge, and the clutch slipped. I tried it in fifth gear and it slipped. If I don't accelerate too hard it doesn't slip. Bike has 18,500 miles on it, where should II start?

Third trip, third problem, man I love this bike! :(
Wes

·
Registered
511 Posts
Wes,

What year is your bike and have you had it since new? Have you noticed any indication of a fluid leak? 18,500 miles is no where near normal life expectantcy of the clutch.

Sorry to hear of your issues!

Mugz

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
My 03 did the same thing. Slave went at 19K and ruined the clutch. It only slipped on me once and when I pulled it out the metallic fibers in the clutch were coming apart. It was burned and had a little burn on the clutch plate. I replaced the clutch disc and it was going strong at 75K when I totalled the bike. Replaced the slave and drilled the weep hole.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Let me ask this, does the LT not have a very strong clutch to begin with? I noticed some slip in 1st on saturday when I let the clutch out fast on a hill with my 200lb son on the back. It felt more like I had an auto trans. I dont feel any other slippage but it makes me nervous. I am just cresting 30k on the bike.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a 2002, I bought it used in July with 13,500 miles on it, and I've put 5k on it since.
Are the clutches hard to change? How do I diagnose what is wrong?
Thanks

·
Registered
375 Posts
Mine is a 2001 and did this some time back. I didn't have any trouble on acceleration out of the first or second gear just came on higher gears. I ignored this and it went a way after a short period of time. I think there was a little oil spell on the clutch and it burned of.
The clutch them self is very thick you should never replace it for wear out.
So what I think you should use the bike as long as you don't have any really trouble with it. Maybe you as lucky as I am and it goes away. I have had this at 20.000 km or a little more and have now 78.000 km on the clock. To change the clutch is a lot of work and takes some time.

Manfred

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,257 Posts
14wntr said:
Let me ask this, does the LT not have a very strong clutch to begin with? I noticed some slip in 1st on saturday when I let the clutch out fast on a hill with my 200lb son on the back. It felt more like I had an auto trans. I dont feel any other slippage but it makes me nervous. I am just cresting 30k on the bike.
If that was from a standing start and you exceeded 1500 rpm before the clutch was fully engaged - yes it will slip and you will smell it. That in itself does not mean the clutch has a problem. Best to get to about 3,500 to 4,000 rpm in 5th and hammer it. The rpm should not rise any faster than the speedo. If it does them you have an issue. Either worn or contaminated. I try to never exceed 1,500 rpm from a start until the clutch is fully engaged then I hammer it.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,257 Posts
whdunn4 said:
It's a 2002, I bought it used in July with 13,500 miles on it, and I've put 5k on it since.
Are the clutches hard to change? How do I diagnose what is wrong?
Thanks
Biggest thing Wes is to make sure the clutch is fully engaged befor you grab a handfull of throttle. Other wise she will slip like a bandit. Get her up to 3,500 to 4,000 steady state in 5th gear then no down shift - just hammer the throttle. If you really have a clutch issue (worn close to limits or contaminated) you will see a rapid rise in RPM with out a corresponding rise in speed. Mine would do it once then I could not get it to slip again for an hour or so. I had light oil contamination and the disc was almost at the wear limits. I slipped the clutch too much when pulling my first trailer cross country and I am conviced that contributed to the wear.

You can do a clutch in a weekend if you really try but it is two full days.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I noticed the slip in my clutch when accelerating to pass in 5th. In the lower gears it was ok. My slave gave out and would no longer disengage the clutch. It's a dry clutch just like a car. If you slip it too much, you'll burn it. You don't have the low end grunt of a Vtwin motor so you can't just dump the clutch, you have to finesse it a little on take off.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was running about 50 mph up a hill in 5th gear, and grabbed a handful of throttle and it still slipped. None of the slipping I described was from a stand still.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Presuming your left hand was off the clutch lever when it slipped in 5th gear then yes, you do have an issue. Spend the extra money while it's apart and do the other seals which are accessible with the tranny out.

·
Registered
671 Posts
jzeiler said:
If that was from a standing start and you exceeded 1500 rpm before the clutch was fully engaged - yes it will slip and you will smell it. That in itself does not mean the clutch has a problem. Best to get to about 3,500 to 4,000 rpm in 5th and hammer it. The rpm should not rise any faster than the speedo. If it does them you have an issue. Either worn or contaminated. I try to never exceed 1,500 rpm from a start until the clutch is fully engaged then I hammer it.
Come to think of it, I did get on it pretty good. I will learn. Thanks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
whdunn4 said:
My clutch is slipping under hard acceleration. I rode in the Natural Bridge Virginia area over the weekend and everything was fine. I droned up I-81 to get home, and twenty miles from home, I down shifted for a ramp and then grabbed a handful of throttle to merge, and the clutch slipped. I tried it in fifth gear and it slipped. If I don't accelerate too hard it doesn't slip. Bike has 18,500 miles on it, where should II start?

Third trip, third problem, man I love this bike! :(
Wes

Hey Wes,
Sorry to hear of your problems. I think I may have seen you "headn out" last week. Is your LT silver? I was driving to work and saw an LT with "gear" strapped onto the back/luggage rack at the Davidsburg RD/canal St. intersection.

I live in the Wellsville area and am offering an extra "set of hands" if you tackle your clutch repair yourself. I have not been into my LT that "deep"...knock on wood....so would not be much technical help but can definitely help with "muscle" when needed. I haven't ridden my LT this year...I have a "bad" brake pump modulator. Bought a used pump a few months ago and put it in the bike...but... it had issues as well so i am still looking for another used one and/or trying to decide if I spend the big money for a new part or "scrap" the bike.

Steve

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Just replaced the clutch on my 05 with just under 20K miles. Bought the bike last year with 5K miles and somehow managed to burn the clutch out in 15K.

I'm definitely going to follow Johns recommendation of not exceeding 1500rpm before full lockup. I've had some aggressive starts and I'm sure I was well up to 3000 rpm while engaging the clutch. Anyway it was an expensive lesson to be sure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts