BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a new set of Metz880's 5 weeks and 1200 miles ago. Pressures are set at 42/48 as recommended by many of you here. Dave Shealey and some others have posted that the 880 rear tire can slip out in wet conditions. This happened yesterday, the first time I rode in the rain on the tires, and it left me feeling a lot more unsettled about them than I did just reading about it. The situation was a simple turn to the left, 25 feet out of a stop, where I shifted to second in the turn. As I gave her a little juice, the back tire slid out a few inches and quickly bit pavement again for me to restabilize. I'm aware that the early stages of a rain and the center lane position where grease and oil accumulate is when/where many problems can occur, but this was not the situation.

On dry pavement, the 880's are fantastic. But I question whether I'm taking my life into my hands to ride with these tires on wet roads. I don't consider myself an overly aggressive rider and I don't make a habit of engine braking, even less so in rain. And I'm not adverse to wet weather (I took my skills test for my Class M license in a downpour).

Two questions...
1. What tires do you have and how do they perform for you in wet conditions?
2. We know the LT is a bike that's engineered to chuckle at rain, but we all ride differently. What specific riding tendencies do you have in the rain (avoid it, ignore it, ease up or let 'er rip)

Any other advice or comments from those of you who have 880's - or have had them - is welcome. Thanks a lot...

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
The benefit of the 880's are a good ride and long life, You just found the downside. There is no perfect tire, All have pro's and cons. I live in the northwet and would not even consider having them on my bike because At least 30-40 percent of my riding is in the rain. If I lived in Socal, I might try them because of the high heat, grooved pavement, and infrequent rain.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I went with the avon front, (verdict is still out on it) and bt020 on rear, I love this tire wish the front held up, have to change the front at 6K miles. The reason for avon is it is supposed to last longer. as far as slippage I ride in the south where it can be hot as hell and wet as the sea in a matter of seconds. No problems with slippage.

That's my story and I am sticking to it!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
You don't consider yourself an aggressive rider but shifting gears in a turn, in the wet sounds a little aggressive to me.

·
Registered
826 Posts
It doesn't make a dang bit of difference "wet or dry"..Bridgestone vs Metzeler vs Avon, THE LT is a Hippo when not riding in a straight line. I don't trust the bike on most curves and turns. I SLOW the bike before entering and exiting curves.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
hoodoodrum said:
It doesn't make a dang bit of difference "wet or dry"..Bridgestone vs Metzeler vs Avon, THE LT is a Hippo when not riding in a straight line. I don't trust the bike on most curves and turns. I SLOW the bike before entering and exiting curves.
Not sure I agree with your premise that the LT is Hippo is turns, BUT I do agree with your conclusion; brake early, then accelerate through the curve or corner. Puts the suspension to work and stabilizes the ride. I do this not only for the LT and my other two wheelers, but cars too.

I'm a Metz fan, never had any trouble in fog, mist, rain, mud or snow, including an eight mile piece of hell on the Tok Cut Off.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
BT020 for me

I live in Socal and use BT020. Even though we don't get that much rain, the BT020's work better for me on things like tar-snakes and pavement markings that are wet from sprinkles, drainage etc. I had some Metzlers on for about 1K and just lost confidence in them. I just got 10.5 K on my rear BT and expect at least 15K from this set as I now use "Ride-on" and kept 42/48 in them. I've also learned from Bridgestone technical that the radial BT020 will be discontinued at the end of the year. I'm sticking with the factory issued bias belted.

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
hoodoodrum said:
The fat lady rock and rolls in turns! Let her rip at high RPM on the exit of your apex whilst laid over and laughing and you'll see what I mean.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
BT020 Bias

The Bias BT 020's I have on my LT now are working perfectly.

A very agressive ( for me ) ride thru AR, and MO were enough to convince me that these are way, way better than the Metzlers..:)

Did 250 miles in the rain the first weekend I had them and not a slip.

John

·
Registered
374 Posts
Took my factory installed Metz. 880 tire's off my 06 at 3000 miles.
I had had it with them.
Had the Bridstone Bias tires installed front and rear, and never looked back.
Bike handels like a champ in all conditions.
Oh yes, this Hippo rocks in the twisties, as far as I'm concerned.
Richard

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
darkey said:
Two questions...
1. What tires do you have and how do they perform for you in wet conditions?
2. We know the LT is a bike that's engineered to chuckle at rain, but we all ride differently. What specific riding tendencies do you have in the rain (avoid it, ignore it, ease up or let 'er rip)

Any other advice or comments from those of you who have 880's - or have had them - is welcome. Thanks a lot...
I use BT020s now and have since the original set of Metzlers that were on my bike came off because I could not get comfortable with the noise. I ride in the rain but not every day and no matter what tire you have it can step out on you in the rain. Too many variables from oil and debris to just too much power applied in a lean..

I have had a slip or two with the Metzlers I had on originally and that will give you some pucker. I didn't fault the Metzler on any of the slips. The main reason I moved to stones was I did not like the noise the Metzlers make and I was uncomfortable leaning into corners with the tires making more noise than the exhaust... :D

I can say that I have had a slip or two with the stones but I usually can put a good reason to each and every one.. like a paint stripe, arrow, tar snake or crossing a railroad track at a less than optimal angle..

I'll take my chances with the stones. I am not getting that bad mileage on the stones. Probably better than most riders with the 880s.. but it takes a lot of extra work to keep the pressures at optimal pressure for me.. (42/48).

I think you will need to ride aware that your 880s might be a little touchy in a light or new rain and see if you like them when they are 75% used. If not give the stones a try.

JM2CW

·
Registered
215 Posts
I am on my 3rd K1200LT and maybe I have just been lucky, but have never noticed any slipping and sliding with the 880's which I have ran on all 3 bikes.
Leon
2005 LT Blue

·
Registered
210 Posts
Had nearly new ME880's on the bike when I bought it (used). Almost lost it on the way home in conditions where it was just spitting rain. I was going around a medium speed turn, and could not completely avoid one of the huge painted arrows on the pavement. Only hit a small portion of the arrow, but almost dumped the bike. Whether moist paint or tar snakes, I needed something which I could have more confidence with. Went to the BS BT020's, and they are noticeably improved in wet performance to me. Also I have no issues with them in the dry.

With an 850#+ bike, I am willing to accept the trade-off in control over mileage/longevity. "Gave away" some nearly new ME880's to accomplish this.

Tom

·
Registered
133 Posts
I also think this hippo handles the turns great,
I have ground foot pegs and lower fairing with both the 880's and the BT020's and in ideal conditions both are good tires
But the BT's are much better in the wet and tar snakes than the 880's

Dan

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
On my 3rd set of 880's - never any problem w/ wet weather or any other handling issues.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
The *ONE* variable these 'wet/dry, metzler, B-stone, slider' type threads always seem to leave out - what kinda road??

Asphalt? Grooved? Rutted? Cement? Clean? Dirty? Greasy? What??

Here in Casper we've a wide variety of asphalt and cement. I run Metzlers and have had only ONE minor problem with them. Yea, happened to have been wet - was a worn, highly used cement intersection. Sucker is polished to damn near glass like. Got a bit o wiggle outta the ol gal's ass. Same conditions on asphalt - nothing but totaly 'stickum'.

Same corner - my Ramcharger can get sassy too.

So - you all that've had these Metzler 'issues' - what's the rest of the story? Was it really the tire and wet or is there more here....

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Zotter said:
The *ONE* variable these 'wet/dry, metzler, B-stone, slider' type threads always seem to leave out - what kinda road??

Asphalt? Grooved? Rutted? Cement? Clean? Dirty? Greasy? What??

So - you all that've had these Metzler 'issues' - what's the rest of the story? Was it really the tire and wet or is there more here....
Good point...For me yesterday, however, it was your basic, garden-variety clean asphalt.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey, thanks to all of you who took time to respond. Sounds consistently like those of you who have had experience with both the 880's and the 020's have been happier with 020's for wet riding. I steered clear of the Stones because of issues I've seen posted regarding bubbling/delamination (if that's what you call it with a tire), but maybe that's a discussion for another thread.

Your advice, as well as those who posted in the thread below entitled "rain riding" has been very beneficial.

Safe riding to all of you...

·
Registered
300 Posts
rlv said:
Took my factory installed Metz. 880 tire's off my 06 at 3000 miles.
I had had it with them.
Had the Bridstone Bias tires installed front and rear, and never looked back.
Bike handels like a champ in all conditions.
Oh yes, this Hippo rocks in the twisties, as far as I'm concerned.
Richard
send those rag metzlers to me. they still have 10k left.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts