BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife who has been riding pillion for 30 years finds the rear seat slippery and hard to stay in one place. This is the first bike she has ever complained about. Any ideas to make the passenger seat anti slip? Stay safe!!!

·
Registered
2014 R1200RT LC
47 Posts
I use a piece of no-slip rug pad. Clearly not the most elegant solution, but points for cost and efficiency.

·
Registered
2021 R1250 RT
73 Posts
My wife who has been riding pillion for 30 years finds the rear seat slippery and hard to stay in one place. This is the first bike she has ever complained about. Any ideas to make the passenger seat anti slip? Stay safe!!!
My wife says the same. I get my top box so hopefully it will help hold her in place. She wasn’t impressed. Coming off a Wing is a big change for the passenger.

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
237 Posts
Would be helpful to state what year RT are we talking about. My '06 was very slippery, says my pillion in a million, but she finds the '21 seat far better. I certainly never had her slide up on me on the '21 bike.

·
Registered
2012 R1200RT
19 Posts
My 2012 RT pillion seat is very slippery. I have a sheepskin over a gel pad with a non-slip pad under that as a stop-gap for the pillion until we get the seat reworked. The whole thing is attached to the seat pan with straps. It doesn't really help that much, unfortunately.
I'm having the seat redone in October and my seat guy tells me he can put a bit of "lift" on the front of the seat to mitigate the sliding. He will also recover with a less slick cover. Both seats will be reworked with more of a bucket shape (think tractor seat). I've had other bike seats reworked by the same guy and he worked wonders before, so I'm looking forward to having a good seat again.
Having someone you trust rework your seat is the best solution, but also the most expensive. Moretti's solution is certainly worth a try before more expensive options. However, I doubt you will ever be able to equal the Wing's pillion comfort.
Good luck. Keeping your passenger comfortable and feeling secure is very important!

·
Registered
2021 R1250 RT
73 Posts
In the last week both my phone and a pair of brand new prescription sunglasses slid off it into the pavement. The driver seat isn’t noticeable but I can tell the passenger seat is.

·
Registered
2021 R1250 RT
73 Posts
Ordered one today, coming all the way from England.

·
Registered
2021 R1250 RT
73 Posts
I ordered mine directly from the manufacturer. Well worth the money and the fit is perfect.
Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread Grey Rectangle
Tire Wheel Grille Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
39 Posts
My wife says the same. I get my top box so hopefully it will help hold her in place. She wasn’t impressed. Coming off a Wing is a big change for the passenger.
Yep!Took the wife out for a short ride on my new to me LT.First thing she said was the armrest are too short and the back seat seems sloped down.Extremely slippery as well.Had to stop a bit quick at a crosswalk and she almost went over me.The position of the rear pegs dosen't allow her to brace herself from sliding ahead.Rear seat needs to be hollowed out at the rear(not sure if there is enough foam)or the front built up.Will the heating grids allow any mods?
Not much room for the pass either even with the trunk in the rearmost position.She thinks there isn't enough room for me to add a riders backrest.My other bike is a Wing(1800).

·
Registered
2021 R1250 RT
73 Posts
Yep!Took the wife out for a short ride on my new to me LT.First thing she said was the armrest are too short and the back seat seems sloped down.Extremely slippery as well.Had to stop a bit quick at a crosswalk and she almost went over me.The position of the rear pegs dosen't allow her to brace herself from sliding ahead.Rear seat needs to be hollowed out at the rear(not sure if there is enough foam)or the front built up.Will the heating grids allow any mods?
Not much room for the pass either even with the trunk in the rearmost position.She thinks there isn't enough room for me to add a riders backrest.My other bike is a Wing(1800).
Although better with the top box, it’s not in the same league in terms of passenger accommodations compared with a Wing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts