BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any recommendations for a low-profile, small tank bag for an RT?

I only need something to hold my sunglasses, ear plugs, parking pass and a couple other small items, not a 50L expedition bag that would do double-duty as an airline carry-on.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
four12 said:
Does anybody have any recommendations for a low-profile, small tank bag for an RT?

I only need something to hold my sunglasses, ear plugs, parking pass and a couple other small items, not a 50L expedition bag that would do double-duty as an airline carry-on.
I use the Touratech Flat Bag, and it holds all that I want. It's even a bit large sometimes so I cut down the inside plastic walls and installed some velcro straps to draw it down.

Alternatives that looked pretty good to me when I was shopping around were the RKA bags. We see them a fair bit around Northern California as they're a local shop. They offer a variety of sizes in the expandable and non-expandable. Nice guy runs the place, I spoke with him a bit and was setting up a drive-in to look at what he had but I dropped the ball.

JayJay

·
Registered
323 Posts
I use a Bags-Connection "Daypack II" I put my garage door opener, keys, sunglasses, camera and other stuff in it with no problem. If I go into a restaurant, it comes right off and I just put it in the top box or take it in. Great little tool.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/1859

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for the links and ideas. I might try one of the smaller Touratechs, but not completely sold at the moment.

My requirements are pretty solid and nothing out there matches exactly what I want... maybe it is time to find someone with a heavy duty sewing machine and build my own.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'll second the motion of GPHusky for the Bags Connection bag. Simple to remove to refuel and rigid so that it doesn't contact any parts other than the mounting ring.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I would also like a smaller bag than the BMW tank bag but do no want to give up the ease of placement and removal of the BMW bag for the R 1200 RT. Has anyone attempted to take the BMW bag off of the frame and install a smaller bag in its place? Details and photos would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I have a small Bags Connection with the fuel tank ring quick disconnect..

I like it a lot....I'm sure they make one for your RT as well..

Look here... And look at this.

John

·
Registered
60 Posts
I purchased a small Cortech tank bag and it works great. I removed the magnet sleeves and added velcro along the bottom of the bag. Then I used two separate velcro strips on the tank bar that came with the bike to secure the bag to the bike. Works like a charm. The bag is the perfect size. Not too big and not too small. Plus i saved about $300.00 by not buying the BMW unit.

·
Registered
196 Posts
JPSpen said:
I have a small Bags Connection with the fuel tank ring quick disconnect..

I like it a lot....I'm sure they make one for your RT as well..

Look here... And look at this.

John

+1 on the bags connection (city) bag. I also have the OEM tank bag but I just keep going to the bags connection city bag when I ride. It's small, locks on solid without touching the paint, and stores easily in the luggage if I need to stow it. The OEM bag has that base with the hooks sticking out and it's huge so I never have room to stow it. Just my .02.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
For any of you who have the RT '05-'09 OEM radio installed: have you found a tank bag that doesn't contact the radio controls or horn at full left lock? As I noted above I have the Touratech Flat and have trimmed down the interior plastic so that it doesn't interfere as much, but I still find myself limited on hard left turns because the controls contact the bag and simultaneously change the radio channel while blowing the horn. With the Striebel air horn I have, this is not someting that endears me to my neighbors.

I have barbacks installed.

Thanks.

JayJay

·
Registered
285 Posts
When I got my 2010 I had an old RKA tank bag that I used on my ST1300. I don't remember the name of it but it was the smallest bag they used to sell and used a 3 point mounting system. I just didn't like the way it looked on the RT (and it was the wrong color - red). I got the Touratech Flat because it is made for the RT and it's one of the smaller bags made for the RT. Another plus for the Touratech Flat is that it comes off the bike in seconds. It gives me the option of riding with or without the bag although I use it 99% of the time.

tsp
Blog: www.swriding.blogspot.com

·
Registered
429 Posts
I am a fan of small tank bags for everyday use. I second the Bags Connection Daypack or Daytrip (that's the one I have) suggestion. There's a little work involved: you must replace the original tank cap rim with the Bags Connection rim. Very easy to do. Then you have to drill four holes in the bottom of the bag and screw in the locking mechanism. A little more tricky, but not really difficult. If I could do it, anyone can do it.

If you go the bags Connection route, order the waterproof cover because the bag itself is not waterproof.

I don't really like the Touratech tank bags attachments, with the big hook-and-loop flap waving down there and the two locks down front. YMMV.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.