BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 LT with 38K miles and have, over the last 5K or so miles, noticed a tiny (as in the metal "Tin") rattle or clinking when the starter is engaged. This sound goes away immeadiately when the engine starts.

I am not sure if it is related to the starter engaging or if it is related to the timing chain tensioners needing to be replaced. (I am not sure if the sound going away is related to the starter dis-engaging after start-up or oil pressure activating the timing chain tensioners)

I called my dealer and was told that they do not recomend replacing the timing chain tensioners at 36K miles. The reason they gave is that even though BMW recomends renewing them, they have never seen any wear during replacement.

Once started, the bike seems to me to run fine.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Surprised yours is so quiet, mine is like a metal tin full of rocks, but runs just fine. Like BMW says, never heard of a timing chain tensioner go.
Have the bucket gaps been checked recently?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mine also makes noises that would normally make me worry, but I don't because it runs great.
I had a slight tinny noise but it ended up being a missing screw on the exhaust heat shield which would rattle at start up. Sounds simple, but don't forget to check everything!

·
Registered
120 Posts
c00k1e said:
Surprised yours is so quiet, mine is like a metal tin full of rocks, but runs just fine. Like BMW says, never heard of a timing chain tensioner go.
I replaced the timing chain tensioner/guide at 106K on my 2000. It's a little quieter but I still wonder if I wasted my money. The back two exhaust valves were a little on the tight side. New plugs, air & fuel filters, renewed the brake fluid, rebuilt the olhins...ready for another 100k :bmw:

·
Registered
33 Posts
c00k1e said:
Hey Cooke1 that was a fine video.

Mine rattles too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts