BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 22 K1200LT. I am using Mobil 1 15W50 synthetic. I have about 3,000 on this change and since the weather is cooler, it will not be ridden as much. Since this is very thick oil and will be even slower to circulate in the cold weather, has anyone ever heard of using or has used Slick 50 to prevent wear on cold starts in the middle of winter? Will its use help, hinder, or cause unforseen problems?

I know answers may very greatly on the use of oil additives, especially in motorcycles, but I am curious. There seems to be quite the debate on the use of synthetic oils. Both pros and cons.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Try this. Run 10W30 synthetic in cooler weather and forget the Slick 50.

You have a radiator cooled engine, no need for 50 weight.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,997 Posts
I can remember when the slick 50 salesmen had the 3hp briggs engines with the clear crankcase cover. They would run them with no oil in them to show you how well the oil worked.

My race partner owned a lawn equipment store & he sure made a lot of money fixing them slick 50 briggs engines. :D

·
Registered
832 Posts
Thick....thin.....lots of oil myths out there...bet your bike starts this winter.
It doesn't turn to concrete.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
That stuff has been around for many years, but I have never seen any report of advantage in it's use from a known reliable source. Mostly just advertisements.

In years past there have been a couple of tests from what I felt were reliable sources that I read that basically came to the conclusion that it was a waste of money.

Here is one thing I just looked up, granted, I can not vouch for this site's validity, but there are a couple links in it, a couple regarding Quaker State settling suits by the FTC over false advertisements.
http://www.skepdic.com/slick50.html

·
Registered
64 Posts
I agree with David Shealey. Just put what BMW recomends in the bike!!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
The only thing I add to the oil in any of my crankcases is more oil. :D

I'd avoid the stuff. Unless you are planning to start it for a serious Polar Bear run, with temps approaching zero from either direction, I don't think the 15W50 will be a problem...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info. If I switch to a lighter oil such as 10W30 or 10W40 and the engine has been filled with 20W50 or 15W50 during it's entire life (which is currently 39,000 miles) will the lighter oil start bypassing the rings. In other words, will it start using oil due the the lighter weights now being used?

·
Registered
256 Posts
You should have no problems from switching viscosity ratings. BMW lists appropriate ranges for your local temperatures.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts