BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife has mentioned getting drowsy on the back of the bike, and I caught my son sawing logs this afternoon. I've also heard it happening on the forum often enough to notice.

Just how _dangerous_ is sleeping pillion? I can't say as I've ever been a passenger, so I can't relate. I'd hate to have a passenger flop off to the side and go for a ride!

·
Registered
876 Posts
It happens to my wife quite often, testament to how comfortable the K12 is I guess, although she used to catch a little kip on the K100 as well ! Seriously, she sleeps quite soundly, though I've never needed to throw a rug over her after we ride into the garage at home ;) She takes a product called No-Doz here in Oz, tablet form, pure caffeine, and not being a tea of coffee drinker they spark her up instantly, that's our fix. She seems to sit there quite stable, only hint I get is when her helmet crashes forward into the back of mine !

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Velcro on the seat back, and back of the jacket.... problem fixed. :histerica

Alternately, put some armrests on, that'll help keep them wedged in when they nod off.
Not as cheap as Velcro though :D

·
Super Moderator
1,433 Posts
Every since I put on Muddiman's (http://www.eagle-i.us/) arm rests my wife cat naps all the
time - like running across Kansas, Nebraska and Texas with all that wonderful scenery
and flat land. We turn up the music , set the cruise and float along and since I am not in
the mood for talking on the intercom all the way she just relaxes on occasion - not all the
time and it is certainly not a deep sleep. Lets say she does not need to concentrate and
focus like the driver and she nods off every once in a while.

Is it safe - well I can tell you she wakens to the least change in direction, noise of the
trucks, and bumps in the road. Is she going to fall off - well the arm rests trap her real
good and to date we have no issues. Does she sleep in the rain - nope, does she sleep
at night time - nope, does she sleep in the twistes - nope, does she sleep in any gear
below 5th - nope, does she sleep when the bike is in cruise on flat land in the middle of the
day - yep, does she sleep when she is hungry - nope and finally does she sleep when
she is mad at me or my driving style - nope. So she really has very limited time to sleep
but she does manage to on occasion.

·
Registered
158 Posts
My wife unfortunately does not not get to go on rides with me that often, but when she does, naps are in order. It is one of the reasons I bought the 1200lt. It has a backrest and heated seats, the 1100lt did not. As others have stated, the only indicator is the bump to the back of the head every now and then.
To date we have had no issues.

Brian

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
My riding partner also falls asleep from time to time. Easy to tell when her helmet bonks mine. She has never come close to falling off.

Loren

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I don't know if it's dangerous but Honey Bunny catches naps all the time on the passenger seat. As long as we're not in traffic I'll let her sleep. I figure it's one thing that makes a trip better for her.

My only concern, which has never materialized, is that she might get disoriented and suddenly try to stand up.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,603 Posts
If you have armrest there is no worries. My wife always slept on my LT & now my GTL (I modified some Wing armrest to fit the GTL). My middle Granddaughter Has been riding with me for 6 years (started at 10 years old) & she sleeps too. SSSHHH Just don't tell her Mom. ;)

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No armrests on my LT, but it sounds like the risk of injury is pretty remote. I figure there'd be horror stories of carnage and loss of life it it were more frequent.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
No arm rest either, but its easy enough to tell when she starts to nap. I get the tap, tap on the back of my helmet. I say are you sleeping... Gretchen, wha?...no. Ya right LOL.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yep, Lovely Bride sleeps quit often. First thing I notice is she hasn't said anything for awhile then I get the bump in the back of the head. Get the same response too, "you asleep, uh no you doing ok??"

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Tiger955 said:
Yep, Lovely Bride sleeps quit often. First thing I notice is she hasn't said anything for awhile then I get the bump in the back of the head. Get the same response too, "you asleep, uh no you doing ok??"
"Just resting my eyes" seems to be the commonly accepted answer. :histerica

·
Registered
335 Posts
My wife naps back there pretty often - about every time that we ride for more than an hour or so. The helmet bonk gives her away every time but at least I know by that she isn't leaning off to the side.

I installed Muddiman armrests a few weeks ago for my peace of mind for her safety. She didn't think she needed them. She wasn't worried about falling off and she didn't feel she was lacking for comfort. She does like them now that they are on there and I feel better knowing she is tucked in for her nap.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
dfinazzo said:
Every since I put on Muddiman's (http://www.eagle-i.us/) arm rests my wife cat naps all the
time - like running across Kansas, Nebraska and Texas with all that wonderful scenery
and flat land. We turn up the music , set the cruise and float along and since I am not in
the mood for talking on the intercom all the way she just relaxes on occasion - not all the
time and it is certainly not a deep sleep. Lets say she does not need to concentrate and
focus like the driver and she nods off every once in a while.

Is it safe - well I can tell you she wakens to the least change in direction, noise of the
trucks, and bumps in the road. Is she going to fall off - well the arm rests trap her real
good and to date we have no issues. Does she sleep in the rain - nope, does she sleep
at night time - nope, does she sleep in the twistes - nope, does she sleep in any gear
below 5th - nope, does she sleep when the bike is in cruise on flat land in the middle of the
day - yep, does she sleep when she is hungry - nope and finally does she sleep when
she is mad at me or my driving style - nope. So she really has very limited time to sleep
but she does manage to on occasion.
+++111 exact same story, particularly the "mad at me" part!

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have a tendency to be quite introverted, esp long distances, so my lovely and talented wife will snooze quite a bit once the conversation dies off. I would feel safer if i had arm rests for her but she insists quite strongly she doesn't want them. She does have a bit of claustrophobia (can't take a full face helmet either) so that's the way we ride. Never been a problem but for the snoring in the intercom.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Except for the claustrophobia over the full face helmet Steve could be describing Marilyn as well. She does not want to feel trapped if we should find ourselves in a "Get Off" situation. I offered to put on the arm rests but she said no!

To add to the facts already offered about the pax not falling off while dozing, we have at least one who did not fall off after being knocked unconscious by a low flying pheasant!! Only indicator of the fact she was out was her head resting on her right shoulder, which I could see in the mirror right before pulling over.

The wide seat and foot rests make for a very stable platform!

John
smahon said:
I have a tendency to be quite introverted, esp long distances, so my lovely and talented wife will snooze quite a bit once the conversation dies off. I would feel safer if i had arm rests for her but she insists quite strongly she doesn't want them. She does have a bit of claustrophobia (can't take a full face helmet either) so that's the way we ride. Never been a problem but for the snoring in the intercom.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've wondered how many others wives have done that. Mine has done it on every bike I've owned... even a Yamaha RD350B!!! I used to worry but after so many many miles there has never been an issue. Glad to hear none reported so far.

·
Registered
795 Posts
This is interesting, I kind of would have preferred an RT or GT for a bike because it is a little sportier and easier to ride in town, but I opted for the LT simply because of the potential for the wife to snooze off:

10 year old K1200 LT - $4K
6 Gallons of premium - $22
Silent Wife - PRICELESS!!! :histerica

·
Registered
876 Posts
My wife does 2 things whilst we travel - a lot of thinking and a little bit of snoozing. I've covered the snoozing bit, but ommtted to say that once while we were travelling on the K100RT, just after she had taken a 30 minute pillion ride on the mate's Ultra-Classic, we stopped and were having a drink when she mentioned to me that she thought it may be time we upgraded (obviiously was impressed with the comfort and had subsequently doing the maths). Well, the rest is history,...... '05 with 13,000 Km's and unmarked, and we are very happy, so much so that in the next month we will clock-up around 13,000 Km's on this great continent, I guess she'll be doing some more of that thinking and maybe a little (more) snoozing. ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts