BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got as far as removing the gear box last night and I confirmed what I suspected, engine oil not clutch fluid had contaminated the clutch. I still plan to do the weep hole mode but I had a question about the slave cylinder. Even though it was dry (no presence of DOT4 fluids) I can see .some white powder residue on the top and bottom of the slave cylinder bore (housing) as you can see from the pictures. I was wondering what that is? It has a foul smell like cow manure, if that helps :). Also, on the last picture you can see some rust at the bottom of the piston that resides inside the slave cylinder. Do I have to replace the whole slave cylinder just because of that (since there is no rebuild kit, I hear) or just clean the rust as much as I can?

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,249 Posts
I was going to say that slave cylinder just doesn't look right but then I realized you took it apart. I would check the bearing for smoothness with the clutch rod and replace the whole slave if it is rough (it turns all the time the engine is running). If it is smooth then apply some good grease and re-use it. But keep an eye on the weephole. I don't think the white powder is an issue, just something that seeped in through the gasket from outside the cylinder.

My clutch had engine oil as well but no where near the amount in your case.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jzeiler said:
I was going to say that slave cylinder just doesn't look right but then I realized you took it apart. I would check the bearing for smoothness with the clutch rod and replace the whole slave if it is rough (it turns all the time the engine is running). If it is smooth then apply some good grease and re-use it. But keep an eye on the weephole. I don't think the white powder is an issue, just something that seeped in through the gasket from outside the cylinder.

My clutch had engine oil as well but no where near the amount in your case.

Hi John,

thanks for your input. I checked for smoothness and it sems fine except that I noticed some lateral play, about 3 degrees on the bearing. From what I read on other posts so far, it is suggested that the slave cylinder should be replaced as a preemptive measure after 60K miles so I might as well go for it since I'm at 66K already. Besides, I don't want to go through this nightmare again :).

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,249 Posts
A little lateral play is OK but at 66K I would feel better with a new one. They have changed the design a little since 04. Not sure if it is an improvement but mine was fine after 30K (they changed it out at 18K during an unrelated warranty service requiring swing arm removal).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts