BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While on my way in to do the slave cylinder housing drain hole operation I uncovered a couple of side trips.

1. The transmission output seal leaking. (remove and replace an easy fix)
2. The pinion seal leaking very slightly. (gear oil inside the rubber boot) The drive unit has been drained. It's as clear as new and down immeasurably from when it was put in 9,000 miles ago. The drain plug had very little fuzz on the magnet. I am content that the drive unit is ok. What is involved in replacing the seal? Is it something that could be done by me or should it visit the dealer? What special tools do I need? What parts do I need to order?

I have completed the removal of the swing arm, (many thanks to Kevin Cook, David Shealey and others on this site) and have removed the slave cylinder. All is dry and looks really good, the drain hole drilling is not too late.

Any assistance on the pinion seal questions is appreciated.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,556 Posts
Just my 2 cents but I would live with a slight leak here. The job requires some special tools and is not worth trying your self nor would I break the integrity of a good drive at the dealer just to fix a slight leak. Just take a peak every once in while under the boot and reasses the situation as needed.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I'm also living with a slight leak in my boot. I haven't seen anything from my rear drive. I'm replacing the fluid (with synthetic) every oil change.

One thing you want to consider (if it's not all the way back together) is drilling a hole in your "bell housing". If the main engine seal leaks (and they do) the oil can come in the "back door" and contaminate your clutch.

There is hope that this hole will leak oil before the clutch is destroyed. Either way, if you cut into a motor that far (either main seal or clutch slipping) you'll replace both.

Great job on the Slave, now you can sleep a little safer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts