BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whelp, the prototype's been made.

1. Aluminum is probably not the best material, it's too soft. If there's a demand, I'll order stock and make it out of a high density plastic...1/10th the cost, 10 times faster to turn.
2. I HATE knurling.

IMG_1627 by Matey-O, on Flickr

So, Are you guys interested in 4, 40, or 400? :p

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Put me down for 1 plastic.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
How much and whats the lead time? I only ask because my clutch is worn out and I'm waiting on the parts to fix it right now.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
How about a "Kit" that includes this and a 30mm cutout socket? :) Just an Idea.

Then of course someone will add a transmission seal tool.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Based on some initial research, it's looking like $30 per for Delrin, shipped.

If that sounds like a deal breaker, once it's yours, it's yours...you can sell it to the next guy on the forum and recoup your costs for your one-time-use tool.

Based on the initial numbers, I'll do an initial run of 10 and see how many I have left.

It's a pretty interesting excercise, Aluminum (7075) comes to about $55, stainless would be $58, and mild steel, depending on the surface treat (so it doesn't rust) would be about $36.

This is assuming relatively short runs of 5 - 20 pieces.

Cool?

·
Registered
335 Posts
I will buy one - hoping that having it will keep me from ever having a slave cylinder problem.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Put me down for one Delrin unit, please.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
johnbaker15 said:
How about a "Kit" that includes this and a 30mm cutout socket? :) Just an Idea.

Then of course someone will add a transmission seal tool.
That would greatly depend on if I could source 30 mm sockets I can machine. (never tried it, I suspect it'd tear up a chromed surface)

I'll look for transmission seal tool specs...

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
interested, what is the $. also interested in the 30mm socket, if the surface is marred, I will smeer paint over it, no biggie.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bought the Delrin yesterday (Thursday), I'll be muckin' about in the shop this weekend. When I say 'go', I'll ship 'em out via PayPal on a first come, first served, basis. 'Cept you rosgeog, I don't mind sendin' it to ya, but I've gotta figure out the postage first.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
Rocketsled said:
Whelp, the prototype's been made.

1. Aluminum is probably not the best material, it's too soft. If there's a demand, I'll order stock and make it out of a high density plastic...1/10th the cost, 10 times faster to turn.
2. I HATE knurling.

IMG_1627 by Matey-O, on Flickr

So, Are you guys interested in 4, 40, or 400? :p
I'm interested in why you feel the Aluminum is "too soft". I make them out of aluminum all the time and there is no reason to be beating on these tools with anything but a soft mallet, no? I buy scrap aluminum bar stock to make my drivers and the cost is a lot less expensive than you later post quote. May I suggest anyone wanting to make their own look into a metal recycler and see what they have before buying "new metal". Plastic, urethane and tefflon are also available in scrap at many plastic manufacturers. We have several in Portland OR and I frequent their scrap bins to see what they have to offer and the prices for odds and ends are dirt cheap.

Knurling is the fun part! What kind of machinist are you anyway? ;)

Just kidding!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ErnieA said:
I'm interested in why you feel the Aluminum is "too soft". I make them out of aluminum all the time and there is no reason to be beating on these tools with anything but a soft mallet, no? I buy scrap aluminum bar stock to make my drivers and the cost is a lot less expensive than you later post quote. May I suggest anyone wanting to make their own look into a metal recycler and see what they have before buying "new metal". Plastic, urethane and tefflon are also available in scrap at many plastic manufacturers. We have several in Portland OR and I frequent their scrap bins to see what they have to offer and the prices for odds and ends are dirt cheap.

Knurling is the fun part! What kind of machinist are you anyway? ;)

Just kidding!
The problem is: You have a beautiful, turned, tool with high tolerances, bright, shiny, made of aluminum...then it rolls off your workbench and onto the floor and it gets a great big ding on it. If the ding's bad enough, is the guy going to be able to file it to clear? If it's delrin, anyone can carve that with an xacto knife.

The prototype was made using scrap I had laying about...I wasted about 40% of it because it wasn't close to final dimension. Buying new stock lets you spend a lot less time getting the scrap to fit.

At the numbers I'm making, I want to be able to screw something up and not take a loss on it.

You know what that prototype cost to make? My time...oh, and the carbide bit, that wasn't free...and the lathe...and the inherent knowledge it took to turn the part to tolerance. I'm not expecting to get rich off it, but I'm also not looking to lose money on it either.

I make my own tools all the time, and often say 'if it exists, it's ALWAYS cheaper to buy it', and it's great to have the stuff on hand to make that one, specific, spacer. But you're not giving yourself enough credit, nor covering your costs, when you say things like 'I buy scrap aluminum bar stock to make my drivers and the cost is a lot less expensive than you later post quote.'

1 - 20 of 43 Posts