BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen this designation several times recently on forums (Slant/6). Is this the short euphemistic name for the concept 6, inline-6 engine on the K1600 series? If so, who gave it this name?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Probably a fisherman. Chrysler's version made an excellent boat anchor. Why anyone would want to saddle this bike with a name like that is beyond me. Apparently, earlier versions had a reputation for reliability, if not much performance. I had one of the later ones and it was the worst motor I have ever had in anything.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The engine is slanted to a high degree. That means the cylinders are not vertical; the engine is tilted around 60 degrees so they're actually closed to horizontal than vertical. That's done for space reasons and to keep the center of gravity low.

·
IBR# 366
16,552 Posts
I've been referring to BMW's latest inline-4 motors as Slant/4 for quite a few years now. So Slant/6 is a natural progression.

As mentioned, the cylinder bank is tilted forward 55° allowing for a lower center of gravity, albeit with a slightly longer wheelbase. The longer wheelbase is in part dealt with by moving the transmission and alternator into the extra space created on top of the engine. It's one of the engineering/design choices that sets these Beemers apart from the cookie-cutter Japanese repli-racers.

Note that BMW's official designation is K44 for the newer 4-cylinder bikes, and K48 for the sixes. I have heard several journalists refer to these as Slant 4 or Slant 6, but I prefer to add the / myself. Not only is it uniquely descriptive of the engine layout, but it also harkens back to BMW's classic /2, /3, and /5 bikes. :bmw:

The biggest use of the Slant/4 moniker is to differentiate it from the Flying Brick laydown-4 engine used in the LT and older RS/GT bikes. That alone makes it quite useful, especially since K1200GT can correctly refer to two quite different machines.

In the same way, Slant/6 differentiates it from the Flat-6 as used in the 'Wing, which is an entirely different animal. :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Slant was used to distinguish the newer inline 4 cylinder from the old "flying brick" 4 cylinder engine, since they both displaced 1200cc, then the slant 4 grew to 1300.

I've been using and reading i6 (inline 6) for the K16. Ipod, ipad, i6... it's the lingo of the times! :bmw:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts