BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of us have skid plates on our bikes. For those few who don't...you might want to consider it. Here is a pic I took of mine after taking it off yesterday to do a transmission fluid change. I'll bet a lot of us could show the same. I remember grimmicing each time I've planted the bike on a speed bump. :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
938 Posts
I agree whole heartedly. Seems like everytime I go over a speed bump it bottoms out. And that is without any speed.

You definately need a skid plate.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I actually have a problem visiting my daughter at her college because of the speed bumps. Riding one up with the suspension all the way up still won't clear some of the bumps. Another problem is going into driveways with a dip after the curb where the front wheel clears the hump and the skid plate mashes it! Sends a jolt right up the spine.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
c00k1e said:
Not another 'extre' I have to buy!
How much and how does it fit on?
Check your dealer -- BMW was providing them free at one point for the 99's/early '00's because they were trying to stem a rash of broken transmissions.

DEFINITELY GET ONE -- without the skid plate, if you hang up the centerstand on a bump, because the centerstand is mounted directly to the bottom of the tranny, you can literally break the transmission housing open!

·
Registered
610 Posts
WOW! That banged up skid plate sure looks rough. I better go check under my bike. Does the 2002 have the skid plate?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
my 2002 came with one, if yours was used, previous owner might have taken it off

·
Registered
610 Posts
sheldan2 said:
my 2002 came with one, if yours was used, previous owner might have taken it off
Thanks. I better go check it out. Going over speed bumps I sometimes bottom out...

·
Registered
285 Posts
2000 was change over year

My 2000 came without a skid plate. 6 weeks later, a new transmission ($2,200) was put in under warranty & a free skid plate. I went over a curb leaving a driveway. Later in 2000, they were putting them on at the factory.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
that scraping noise goes positive

Aggressivly, a little throttle and pop the clutch just when front wheel comes in contact with the speed bump, this will add FUN to your experiance...matthew

·
Registered
362 Posts
Skid plate

c00k1e said:
Not another 'extre' I have to buy!
How much and how does it fit on?
It really should have been put on ALL years.
I bought mine through Chicago BMW after my dealer said 110.00 for my 2000
At Chicago IIRC was 70.00 to my door .
It goes on real easy,

·
Registered
220 Posts
Some dealers may still provide under warranty

I bought my '99 in July 2006 from Lone Star BMW.

After finding out and asking Lone Star BMW about this they provided the skid plate parts at no cost and only charged labor to install the skid plate.

Joe

·
Registered
191 Posts
I used to scrape the skid plate until I changed to Ohlins shocks and new springs.

The new springs have none of the sag that the OEM springs exhibited. Now I have greater cornering clearance and it's a snap to get it on the centerstand. Who would have known I'd get these added benefits?

·
Registered
43 Posts
ronk1200lt said:
I used to bottom out until I got my new Ohlin Shocks. Now I don't scrape my undercarraige no matter how big the speed bump is.
Ditto!

Got my Ohlins on last week. No more speed bumpity bump.

Haven't tried the center stand for easier lift yet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts