BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering purchasing the P3 Lights for the license plate that Jerry Skene sells - has anyone installed them on a LT? Any mounting issues, etc.? Pleased with them? I tried the search routine and came up with nada...TIA

Daniel

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I have the P3s with the optional voltmeter! Works Great! I've blinded a few pals when showing off how powerful the lights are when the brake is applied. :D

IMHO, they are much brighter than Hyperlights. The voltmeter is nice but not a necessity. My bike went through a run of 3-4 batteries in a year (short in my Baher intercom) so I like the piece of mind.

No problems with the install- pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I too have the P3 lights on my LT. I made a bracket for them so they form one solid bar of light under the license plate. They are very very bright and they are always on, meaning that you get the benefit of an extra tail light, then when you hit the brakes, the things get seriously bright. And you can't beat the customer service of Skene Designs.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I will get a photo as soon as I can, but the bike is currently at the shop having the FD looked at and repaired :( . The length of the two P3 lights is the same as the license plate so I used one of those mending plates with the pre-drilled holes as the backer/mount for the P3. It can be easily trimmed with tin snips to the shape you need. I found a photo of my GS with the same P3's on it before I moved them to the LT. It does not show the plate, but you can see how they line up with the license plate. The P3's run as a taillight too, that is why I mounted them together, away from the taillight - thought they would stand out more.

As soon as I get the bike back, maybe this weekend, I can shoot a photo of what it looks like on the LT and the mounting plate.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Okay, so got my bike back :dance:

Here are some photos of the P3 lights and the bracket I made for them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The stock brackets that come attached to the P3 Lights LED modules allow them to be mounted this way.

It's only if you have a license plate frame that you need to fabricate a special bracket.

You can see what the bracket looks like in the drawing on this page:

http://www.lights.skenedesign.com/P3_Installation.shtml

Installation on an LT is particularly easy, as the entire tail light lens pops out when you loosen the retaining screws inside the left and right side cases.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
What you can't see in any of the pictures or even in a good video is how these lights really work. Bob's BMW has an active display. They are attention grabbers even when they are just powered on and in run mode. Front and rears are a good addition to any bike, IMHO.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Another cool thing about P-3's is you can program...what is it...three light patterns. Two are different flash sequences and one just goes from running to brake lights, in case you're in a jurisdiction that won't permit flashing brake lights. Here in VA most inspection stations don't mind them, but technically they're not legal.

Side story: My wife's bike, besides having large rear lights, has a GIVI top case with a light kit on it that includes running and brake lights, and I have a set of P-3s installed. Her mom, my mother in law, was visiting and my wife was proudly showing her mom the bike and demonstrated all the rear end lighting.

"Looks like a cheap wh*** house!" was her "motherly" comment.....

Anyway.....I'm a fan of P-3s. Good product.

Jeff D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts