BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the size allen wrench do I need to take the drain plug out of my tranny 09k1200lt

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,556 Posts
14mm and they are available at some auto parts stores and HF.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there enough room for a rachet and a 14mm allen socket or do I need to get an allen wrench

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I bought a regular 9/16" hex wrench at my local Ace Hardware store. Cut about 2" off the long end and glued it into a socket.

There is room for the ratchet once you remove the exhaust hangar.

You will need to have a hex socket in order to torque down the plug if that is your plan.

You will also need a 12mm hex socket down the road so the set of three at Autozone would be a good bet.

Have fun,

Loren

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
wa1200lt said:
I bought a regular 9/16" hex wrench at my local Ace Hardware store. Cut about 2" off the long end and glued it into a socket.

There is room for the ratchet once you remove the exhaust hangar.

You will need to have a hex socket in order to torque down the plug if that is your plan.

You will also need a 12mm hex socket down the road so the set of three at Autozone would be a good bet.

Have fun,

Loren

Oh Oh, DARN, I knew the answer to this one, but was beaten to it.

I am curious as to the Autozone "set" how much and is there a part #

Thanks

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
wa1200lt said:
I bought a regular 9/16" hex wrench at my local Ace Hardware store.
Loren
My first fluid change, I didn't have one. A 3/8" rod coupler (has 9/16 o.d. hex) is available at many hardware stores. Just drop it into a 9/16" or 14mm socket.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
pauleknight said:
I am curious as to the Autozone "set" how much and is there a part #
The Autozone set is a set of 3, 12mm, 14mm, and one other size. Can't remember the size, 16mm maybe. Seems like when I got mine a couple years ago they were $10.00. I suffer from CRS. That, and it's something I HAVE to have, so I buy it and don't think about the price.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts