BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A year or so ago I had a Sirius Satellite Radio installed in my pick up and I love it. It is set up to send a low power signal to my FM radio and thus requires no wiring to the radio in the pick up, just 12 volt power and an antenna. It uses a small docking station installed in the pick up. I tow an airstream trailer with the pickup and I can even pick up the Sirius signal on the radio in the trailer.

I would like to install a similar docking station on the LT so that I can enjoy the Sirius Radio on the bike. As the unit is easily removed from the docking station putting it on the bike presents both a security problem when I park the bike and a weather problem if it is exposed to rain or such.

I'm thinking of mounting it in the trunk. Have any of you done that? Am I likely to have any problem with the signal going through the plastic of the trunk to the antenna of the LT's radio?

Jerry

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I mounted my radio on the handle bars with a hoon hardware mount with no additional transmitter. The one in the unit works great! Living on Long Island, I had major concerns about using the FM transmitter. Between the NYC, LI and CT stations, the transmitter I used with my Ipod was horrible. The one in Sirius is great! I rode from Long Island, NY to Stechoah, NC for STC II without ever changing the station.

I'm am not an mechanic, an engineer or even close to be mechanically inclined. But, I think the engines or electrical systems in cars and trucks produce more interference then the LT. My setup in the truck includes the FM Power Transmitter that (like you said in your post) blocks out the other stations. This is the only way I was able to maintain sat. radio signal in my truck. It's either that or Dodge/Chrylser makes crappy radios.

In this case, I recommend applying the KISS principle- Keep it simple stupid (no offense)!

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
I mounted my docking station for my XM in the stingray so I wouldn't have to worry about rain and could easily change stations.
Ran the antenna cable under the handlebar covers and mounted antenna on the clutch cylinder so it could "see" my radio antenna.
Works great.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sirius

I mounted a Sirius radio on my LT last year. I mounted it on the left handlebar, making a small metal bracket and screwing it to the top of the clutch resevoir. You can then splice into the power outlet, run the antenna wire through the handlebar and I mounted the antenna on top of the brake resevoir. Very easy to do, actually. If it looks like I'm gonna get rained on, I simply pop the radio out of its cradle and put it in the small compartment on the fuel tank. I have been rained on and have never had a problem. Feel free to e-mail me if you have any other questions. By the way, after having the satellite radio on the bike, I can never go back to FM.

·
Registered
659 Posts
RAM makes a water tight box for the XM's. It's pretty good (unless you have a MyFi...in which case you need to modify the box) and mounts to one of the RAM mounts.

Yes, once you go satellite
you'll find FM is a real bite
(poet unknown)

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
JMMRoad said:
As the unit is easily removed from the docking station putting it on the bike presents both a security problem when I park the bike and a weather problem if it is exposed to rain or such.

I'm thinking of mounting it in the trunk. Have any of you done that? Am I likely to have any problem with the signal going through the plastic of the trunk to the antenna of the LT's radio?
The trunk is "transparent" to the satellite signal. I didn't hide mine because I wanted to be able to immediately hop between channels. I also mounted mine on the left handlebar, and just remove the head unit an put it on the trunk when in bad areas. I've gotten to the point where I rarely remove it. For rain, I keep one of those Glad bowl covers (looks like a mini-shower cap) in the oddments compartment.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sirius Radio on LT

I mounted mine on the BMR co-pilot shelf and it works great. The shelf has allowed me to mount my GPS in center, sirius radio on the left and valentine radar on the right. If I had to do it over again I would swap the radio and radar as my cup holder on the left handlebar hits the sirius radio. I also found after installing the sirius radio that there was enough interference with the GPS that I had to add an auxiliary antenna to the GPS.

john

1 - 9 of 9 Posts