BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my bike in for the 24,000 mile maintainance and while the tupperwear was off thought it would be a good time to have them hook up my Sirius. I took all the hardwear but when I returned, the shop had not used a "hard" wire into my Com system but had set up an FM transmitter. They said I couldn't control the volumn from the handle bars if they used the AUX input. Isn't there a place on the back of the radio for this kind of wiring? My experience with FM transmitters it mostly bad. Total tab was $1200 for everything. Spending a years worth of beer money may be coloring my attitude. Is it just me.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Not sure what Sirius radio you have but on mine I hard wired the power to rear seat heater hot wire the used an antenna adaptor. it plugs into the Sirius radio then inline on the bikes radio antenna. This way it bypasses the FM transmitter also looks out all regular radio stations while the Sirius is on.

·
Registered
794 Posts
:thumb:

Same here. If it is a wireless FM Modulator you will get interference. They suck.

If you want things done right, you should do it yourself.

Here is a post that I have pasted to 587,986 threads just like this one:

Delphi SA10003 SkyFi XM Satellite Radio FM Modulator

Do an eBay search. I got three of these for around 10.00 each.
It is for XM radio, but the accessory/Aux plug will fit most MP3 players.

This is also small enough to hide in the left side of the stingray with the wire harness.
The positive is that it will also power your 6V device without running an additional power wire to plug the XM into.

Just a follow up to my last post:
This connects to the radio via the antenna wire.
There is a power cord for XM.
There is a cord for AUX.
Find a 12v connection that works off of the switch to plug into this way your device will auto power on.

·
Registered
878 Posts
It's not clear from your post if they merely activated the FM transmitter in the Sirius unit or if they installed an inline FM modulator. Hopefully, they used the inline FM modulator. This will give you the best reception and will be fully integrated into your radio. Go into the setup menu of the Sirius and set the FM frequency and then tune your radio to the same frequency. This will let you adjust the volume using the standard radio controls. You will use the Sirius unit to select the programming. If you want to listen to over the air stations you will need to power off the Sirius unit. I originally used the built in FM transmitter with moderate success. I upgraded the Sirius unit and found that the FM output had been greatly reduced making it unusable.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you think this XM adapter will work with Sirius?

·
Registered
624 Posts
I don't believe the XM inline modulator will work with a Sirius radio. The XM connection is coaxial (1 center wire), but I remember my old Sirius unit using a tri-axial connector (2 center wires). The Sirius radios are usually 12V, while the XM units use 5-6V.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
My recent best installs of XM were accomplished using the AUX connector inputs, either to the radio or the intercom I/F. On my H.D., used the AUX input and on my LT I used the Cassette adapter I/F the first time. This time, I plan to plug into the Intercom Aux input..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts