BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I paid the deposit on my new K1600GTL and ask the dealer a few questions, one was what came in the tool kit. The response was not what I expected, he stated new BMW's did not come with a tool kit. So my question to you all is, do they in fact not come with a tool kit, remembering it's been a lot of years since I purchased a new bike?
Thanks Mark

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Welcome to a very small club. About 1,300 members.

The K1600GTL comes with a screw driver and and a 2 star bit type devise. That's it. Not much to fix on the bike, so far!

Most people assemble their own, based upon what they feel comfortable fixing on the road. I carry a potable compressor, tire kit and a few other tools.

Everything in the picture came with my 02 K1200LT. The screw driver and tiny Right Angle Star driver are what came with my K1600GHT.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would seem that BMW is under the illusion that we the owners are going to call them with each and every problem. That may be true in some cases but then again I must note that BMW repair facilities are spread thin around the US not always accessible in time of need. Just a thought

·
IBR# 366
16,592 Posts
If you know enough to do reasonable maintenance on the bike, then you know enough to assemble a reasonable toolkit on your own. Hell, you probably already have the tools that you can stuff into some sort of bag or container for the bike.

That's what I've done for my last several Beemers, regardless of what the factory chose to provide. :)

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Most retail auto stores sell a combination Metric hex/allen combo tool that are compact, a small volt meter, tire repair kit. Duct tape I spool off 3 feet the wind it up tight,small led flashlite,store some emergency cash on board,small first aid kit w/benadryl for bee stings,small eye droplets,Then your set

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was actually quite surprised at the "tool kit" that came with the bike. I asked the salesman what I was suppose to with this tool kit-pick rocks out of the tire ???? I know there are several after market bike tool kits available and I will probably get one of those and customise it for this bike.

·
Registered
474 Posts
On the Adventure forum it was suggested that when you do your 12K service, pack all the tools that you need into a kit and carry that. You will find that there are a lot of tools that you just don't need from the one size fits all aftermarket kits. I have virtually everything I need except a torque wrench in my tools along with jumper cables and tire patch kit. When I do my normal service I unroll my tools and try to only use them.

Also, since I'm riding a GSA these days I keep a siphon for those friends that don't pack almost 9 gallons of gas:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts