BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changed oil and filter with BMW oil, now can not see thru the sight glass. So I have no way of knowing how much oil is ih the engine Any ideas on how to remedy this small problem.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Use the search engine. You'll find all the info you need. It's usually an easy fix.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sounds like you overfilled the engine. 3.5 quarts is the recommended fill quantity. Don't worry about it as I have learned from this forum.I'm sure others will chime in.
twoisbest said:
Changed oil and filter with BMW oil, now can not see thru the sight glass. So I have no way of knowing how much oil is ih the engine Any ideas on how to remedy this small problem.

·
Registered
593 Posts
very easy to change for a new one and cleanable

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
What color do you see when you look at sight glass? Are you looking whilst the big girl is on her center stand or side stand? Maybe you are not seeing the level because the glass is full and the oil is clean.

On center stand should fill glass. On side stand should be about halfway up.

How much oil did you put in?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,073 Posts
After your next ride put it on the center stand with the motor running. Look at the sight glass - it should be empty and you will see the silver backing. Then shut off the engine and watch the oil rise. Don't worry about the over fill as the normal sump level when running is below the sight glass.

·
Registered
244 Posts
On my 99 the book calls for 4 quarts of oil. If I put 4 in the window gets dark and I can't see the oil level because it is full. The next time I will put in a little less so I can see the level. When I took a little out I could see the level quite well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts