BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was reading my new BMW Motorcycle magazine, and was interested to see the feature article on Siebenrock's new 'oil proof' clutch disks.

http://www.siebenrock.com/en/products/technic/2122737.html is a catalog page that shows one of these disks for a R12.

After talking with the guys at Eurotech - their US dealer - and not finding any fitment for the LT, i went straight to Siebenrock.

Their guy said that demand for LT parts in europe was pretty low, but if i could batch up a few interested individuals, they'd run up a speacial batch of LT specification clutches for me.

Now THAT'S service. ;-)

so, is there anyone here that would like a clutch disk that seems completely resisitant to contamination?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Well, I may need to get a clutch replaced in the next few days, but I assume their production run would take weeks/months to do.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
I hope you're not thinking that an oil-proof clutch will continue to function when it's contaminated. It won't. The contamination acts as a lubricant and the clutch will slip. The oil-proof claim only means you can wash it off and use the same parts when you put it back together.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,976 Posts
I sent them a e-mail last month but never got a reply. The clutch disc we run in our race cars work fine when we get a rear main oil leak. They just slip a little burn the oil off & work good as new. I'm in on a group buy :)

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
I should clarify what I said earlier. As long as contamination is present it will slip. Like Saddleman said, you can burn it off and return to normal function but if it's wet, it's going to slip.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Get a price posted, might have a few more takers

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
deanwoolsey said:
I should clarify what I said earlier. As long as contamination is present it will slip. Like Saddleman said, you can burn it off and return to normal function but if it's wet, it's going to slip.
sorry, but you might want to check out the test in the current BMW motorcycle magazine where i discovered the product.

ther's a picture of them squirting oil from an old 'train engineer's type' oil can all over the plate before installing it. if you had this much motor oil loose in your intermediate housing you'd have far larger problems.

they did road tests with an instrumented bike and went out and thrashed the thing, doing top speed tests et al.

the observably oil soaked clutch -- and i mean SOAKED -- according to their data, slipped less and transmitted more HP at the limits than a brand new, dry BMW unit.

this is an objective, third party test, not a manufacturers claim.

thant's what got MY attention.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh, and i have asked about how many takers they need to make this happen and what the commercial arrangements would be.

i'm waiting on their answer.

in the US, their exclusive dealer is eurotech -- they may want their licensee to handle it to keep all of the transaction clean.

the list price for one of these units @ erotech is $250 -- we'll see if a group buy nets us some discount.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Interesting. Not currently in need of a clutch but I may be interested in having one on the shelf. May as well use a clutch that will let me crawl home. The savings in lost time, towing, and aggravation would justify the price.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
You referring to BMW Owners News, January issue? I'm not finding anything. I would like to see the data. What magazine, what page? Thanks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm tearing mine down right now, would sure love to have this be the last time. :histerica Only got about 25k out of this one, original went 85k and I believe I actually wore it out as it was dry. Count me in if it is a matter of weeks and not months. BTW, recently moved to Austin, TX area, will have to change my info. Thanks, MG.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Please add me to the list as my '03 has just recently been diagnosed with slipping clutch syndrome @ just 34K ...

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well i've heard back from milan at siebenrock, and it appears to me we're having a little 'language issue'. ;-)

net/net is that i still don't know how many they need to run a batch.

i've told them that we are seeing 5-6 customers without any detail.

and i've asked again, real clearly, for what their production minimums are.

we'll let you know.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I am interested in a bulkhead spare.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I am interested in a bulkhead spare.

Just replaced my clutch last April.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
I'm still waiting to hear if my slave cylinder let go and contaminated my clutch.

If it has, I'd be interested in buying one within the next 2-3 weeks.

Best from Tucson
Bob

·
Registered
19 Posts
I could be interested. Depends on price. Do all LT models use the same clutch?

Wonder what kind of warranty they offer? (i.e against defect and improper fitting)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Went ahead with the stock clutch plate. They gave me wrong one at first (GT/RS) so had to go trade for the LT. Good thing I double-checked part no. While there, I got to compare them side by side, only difference is LT plate is thicker and uses different housing cover. Couldn't you use the Sieb.RS plate and RS housing cover? If it is a superior product that may be a solution if they don't want to make an LT plate. MG

1 - 20 of 32 Posts