BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about this clutch replacement for a while.

I would like to know how many people have been happy with the Siebenrock clutch and how many are not.

Also in email conversations with Wunderlich in Calif. who sells the product they want to make sure if you do the replacement that you also replace the pressure plate and springs and fluid. So It would be nice to know how many went thru the trouble of replacing the pressure plate and springs with the clutch.

Thanks

Steve A

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
I had a transmission input shaft seal leak that coated inside the clutch housing with trans oil and wanted to change out the clutch assembly before converting to a Hannigan Trike. Heard about the Siebenrock plate from a friend and decided to give it a try as I was adding extra weight to the total tonnage of this whale. I didn't want to go back in there after the conversion as I knew it would be a PITA so I changed everything out, rear main seal twice, (cause I damaged the first one), pressure plate, diaphragm spring, clutch plate, bolts and most seals in tranny. As for being happy or unhappy, the jury is still out on that one. I haven't noticed any difference and it does seem to be performing nicely! I'm just hoping it will be a little more resilient to oil damage should any of the seals ever leak again. I also drilled the weep holes in clutch housing and slave cylinder.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,253 Posts
Conventional clutch change conducted and I replaced pressure plat cover and spring as well. After measuring the spring I could have used the old one as it was the same height. Only need to replace the pressure plate and cover if they signs of wear or heating and cracks other wise use the old ones again.

I have heard of one user here that had a Siebenrock clutch melt to his friction surface but never heard from him again or the outcome from his quest to get it replaced. Other than that one it has been pretty quiet here on those clutches.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well it seems that most dealers have dropped the "Oil Resistant Clutch" because the company will not back the product.

I called 3 dealers from one end of the country to the other.

I wonder how many people are actually happy with there Siebenrock clutch?

Later

Steve

·
Registered
876 Posts
After reading a bit about this Siebenrock clutch plate, and given the cost of it, I have a few questions - Which failure mode does the clutch plate prevent ? Leaking oil seals or failed clutch slave will still contaminate the (any) clutch plate causing clutch slippage. Surely there is no claim by Siebenrock that their plate is slip resistant. Does this plate wear more slowly than others ? If so, is it at the expense of the flywheel and pressure plate surfaces ? Sorry for the cinicism on this, but oil on any clutch in my experience will cause slippage and shuddering so I'm wondering where the benefits lie. Comments ?

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Dennis:

Lots of other bikes run wet clutches. Disc material is different from BMW's, designed to run in oil. Same with brakes on some heavy equipment and large tractors, run in oil.

I'd think there's nothing special about the Siebenrock clutch other than the disc material being similar to what Kawasaki or HD uses.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Well, here's my story.
I bought my Siebenrock oil-proof clutch plate after doing my round-Oz trip in 2011... 16,500km's towing a very heavy camper-trailer on some pretty rough roads at highish speeds.
I knew the clutch felt like it was slipping a bit on takeoff, especially pulling all that weight, so I figured at around 85,000km on the bike (about 70,000km on this OEM clutch plate) and while the Aussie $ was at an all-time high against the Euro, it was a good time to purchase.
That was almost 12 months ago.

Well, I"m just on 100,000km... and the Siebenrock plate is still sitting in the cupboard waiting for the OEM to go..... So I guess investing in a Siebenrock has kept the OEM alive and well and still running. It was definately a worthwhile investment.

:histerica

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Installed one at 218k miles now at 270k,
Works fine for me. No issues.
But then the stock one went to 218k. so i guess I cant say its better or worse.
it works fine.

Zeke

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
gunny said:
Dennis:

Lots of other bikes run wet clutches. Disc material is different from BMW's, designed to run in oil. Same with brakes on some heavy equipment and large tractors, run in oil.

I'd think there's nothing special about the Siebenrock clutch other than the disc material being similar to what Kawasaki or HD uses.
there is a big difference in the construction of a wet clutch versus a single disc dry clutch more to it than friction material

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Yea, I got flamed pretty hard early on when I suggested that oil on an "oil proof" clutch would still cause slippage. The only advantage I can see is that perhaps the "oil proof" clutch could be cleaned up and reused. Also, wet clutches are way different than dry clutches. Just look up a photo of one. They contain multiple layers and multiple friction discs. They run in the same oil that the engine shares with the transmission. I imagine they would fail pretty fast if they were run dry, but that'll never happen as the engine would blow first.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Yep, just sittin' here readin', no-one's convinced me yet that any clutch plate is gonna fix our problems. Did you know that a VW1600 type 1 clutch plate will fit in a K100 ?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Zeke said:
Installed one at 218k miles now at 270k,
Works fine for me. No issues.
But then the stock one went to 218k. so i guess I cant say its better or worse.
it works fine.

Zeke
Do you actually have 270K on your LT? Am I reading this correctly?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,253 Posts
Not unusual, Don Arthur had a little over 304K on his when he totaled it ON the way to the Iron Butt Rally. These bikes will last a long time if cared for properly.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
mauricedorris said:
Do you actually have 270K on your LT? Am I reading this correctly?

Yes sir. But there are a few of us. Look at my avatar it is showing 222222. But that was a year ago. It just goes and goes and goes.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,989 Posts
Zeke said:
Yes sir. But there are a few of us. Look at my avatar it is showing 222222. But that was a year ago. It just goes and goes and goes.
I'm looking forward to see a pic of six digit three's Zeke. I'm only at 176,000 on my 2004 with the original clutch & it's been slipping since Dec 2011. It's a good thing I have another LT to ride when I want to ride hard. :wave

1 - 15 of 15 Posts