BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just talking here in Oz, as we Aussies do, and I have a question. What is the actual advantage of the Siebenrock product, given that leaking oil is actually the issue (root cause of clutch slippage) ? Now this may sound like a no-brainer, but as I see it, the clutch will still slip if/when oil gets on it, and if it were caned at that time the heat (friction) would eventually destroy it (the clutch plate). So is the only advantage the fact that in some cases the clutch may not need to be replaced when the oil seal(s) are replaced ? Or is there more to it all than this ? Please enlighten us Aussies.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
K100Dennis said:
So is the only advantage the fact that in some cases the clutch may not need to be replaced when the oil seal(s) are replaced ?
According to all the posts on this clutch and Siebenrock this clutch can in fact be oiled by a failed seal and it will still be usable whereas the BMW clutch is then toast. IIRC you fix the seals, clean the clutch and reuse it.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I also think that since it does not absorb the oil. It will continue to function when wet...
Even though the disk and plate will have oil on them. The clutch will still "bite".

Just fix your problem. Clean it up and off you go...

John

·
Registered
216 Posts
I replaced my clutch this year with a Siebenrock friction plate. What is interesting is that BMW changed to mineral oil for their clutch fluid. From what I can tell, this also helps to not destroy a friction plate should the clutch slave cylinder fail.

Just food for thought.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Interesting, indeed.

Saw a couple of posts about mineral oil, followed by admonishments by those more in the know than I saying that one should not switch from DOT4 to mineral oil.

I could be wrong, however, as I often am.

·
Registered
216 Posts
You do not want to add mineral oil to your LT as it calls for dot 4 brake fluid. If you did, mineral oil will eat through the seals and cause you a huge expense.

G

1 - 6 of 6 Posts