BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like you I decided to install the "oil proof" clutch from Siebenrock. My 2005 LT has new everything, from the master cyl. to the push rod. The entire clutch system has been replaced.The little woman and I went up town to the local fair (nothing fair about those carnies) about a 12 mile break in trip. No burn offs,stoppies, or such. New clutch pulled fine, no slippage, no signs of disaster.
Put the bike away for the night, got on the next morning to visit the old man, and the clutch would not disengage. I spent a lot of time on the master and slave trouble shooting them,again everything is new. I pulled the swing arm and slave. With a small socket on the end of push rod and a pry bar, the clutch would not disengage. While pushing on the rod I could not turn the drive shaft with my hand, but with a strap wrench I could turn the drive shaft. Pulled the tranny and the Siebenrock was welded,bound,glued,stuck or whatever term you want to use to the pressure plate. I had to use a hammer to remove the clutch plate from the pressure plate. The black stuff in the pic is the clutch plate materail bonded to the plate.I understand clutch slippage. A regular clutch plate would discolor or warp a pressure plate but no glue itself to the plate to the point of making it impossible to disengage. Going back to a stock clutch plate and trying to get my money back. Anyone near KC needing help with a clutch or slave changeoout shot me a line, I am getting pretty good at it now.

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,073 Posts
WOW. Guess it is not all they are cracked it up to be. I actually thought I had ordered one earlier this year but the transaction never went through - must have been an omen. I would be interested to hear what Sibenbrock has to say about it.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I have 30k on mine with no issues, hopefully is just one bad case.
Sorry it had to be one of our fine members.

Zeke

·
Registered
220 Posts
kclineman10 said:
Anyone near KC needing help with a clutch or slave changeoout shot me a line, I am getting pretty good at it now.
This is good to know. I'm also in KC and will remember to call on you one day when I need some help with the clutch. Hopefully it won't be too soon. Perhaps we should arrange a get-together for all the KC LT-riders?

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Same offer applies here... If anyone in (or who happens, at the time of need, to be in) the D/FW are can feel free to reach out to me for assistance replacing their clutch. I will not do it for you, but I will do it with you, schedules permitting.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
How many miles were on the original clutch?? My 05 has about 62,000 on the original clutch, and was wondering how many miles I may have left.

We should get together for a ride when you get all fixed up. I live about 30 minutes west of Overland Park..

Chris Ogle

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Please post whatever response you get from Siebenrock about the failure.... I'm assuming here you're emailing them with full pics for a "please explain"...

:corn:

·
Registered
261 Posts
hey KC ~

My name is Greg Shamieh and I was the person that put together the inital group buy. Siebenrock ran an inital run of 15 disks for my group.

Looking back at my list, I don't see you as a customer. Can you tell me where you obtained this disk from?

What I'd most like to know is whether you re-purchased your disk from the inital run of 15 or whether Siebenrock ran a second batch.

Given that these were a full custom product if it is a QA problem I'd want to know if your failure occured in my batch of disks or a subsequent production run.

I'd appreciate it if you'd share whatever siebenrock tells you, regardless.

Thanx

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sure Greg, I tried to get on the 1st list, but missed the boat. So I contacted Bob's BMW and got on their list. He orders them in groups of ten. Ordered the plate, waited 6 weeks for the plate to get here. May 6th.
Colin with Bob's is working on a purchase price refund, and putting together a paper on the replacement costs of the pressure plate, and housing cover (about $200) and sending that info onto Siebenrock.
I will contact him tomorrow to see if an e mail is needed from me to help this along.
I would like the damaged parts replaced caused by the failure, I know I am SOL on my labor.

Hey maybe they will give me a jacket

·
Registered
929 Posts
I just saw in my newsletter that our president of the Heartland Riders had a failure of a Siebenrock clutch. I will see him tomorrow and get the particulars. He rides a RT...

·
Registered
929 Posts
Just to follow up on my buddy who lost his Siebenrock clutch. He advised what happened in his case was that he had 10,000 miles on the current clutch when he decided to have it changed out with Siebenrock disc. The mechanic advised that he could probably keep his pressure plate and spring and just add the new disc. According to him the problem arose that only the outside edge of the pressure plate was making contact which caused excessive slippage. So, this issue was not a failure per say of the clutch disc.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Your buddy's pressure plate was cupped and not the new Siebenrock clutch plate???

My failure is the new Siebenrock is cupped and not making a complete contact to the pressure plate. The same failure you just described.
Check the photo out.
This photo is after it burned some material off of the clutch plate.
I have recieved a refund of my money on the plate purchase and they now have my pressure plate, clutch housing, and diaphram spring. They are working on getting those replaced for me.

More to come.

Attachments

·
Registered
929 Posts
Thanks for posting your findings and the picture. He was under the impression that it was the fault of not using a new pressure plate... I will have to pass on the info.

·
Registered
31 Posts
After oil got to the clutch on my bike I was unable to get a Siebenrock plate so I fitted an original,about 2,000 klm later the gearbox played up and I had to pull it apart again. A Siebenrock plate had arrived so I fitted it,I found only a small part of the recently fitted BMW plate was making contact,I assumed this was normal till the plate wore flat,you don't normally pull a clutch apart when it is working fine and that early in it's life.Has anybody out there put a Siebenrock clutch plate to the oil test?

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Just checked the one I received a week or so ago to make sure the clutch surface was dead flat across each of the sections, best I can tell there's no "cupping" as it's come from the factory.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Ya know... the more I look at these reports the more I think we need to look at the possibility that it is the pressure plates that are wearing unevenly, and that in some extreme cases, its bad enough that the new clutch fails to bed in properly.

A quick check of old shop manuals confirms the information to check the thinkness and FLATNESS of the pressure pates, with the specific advice that if it isn't within spec it will slip on reassembly and needs to be replaced.

I'm not claiming with certainty that it IS the pressure plate in these cases, but that assuming its the new disk is not a sure thing either.

KC -- you need to have the shop or youself measure the thickness and taper of the pressure plate before reaching an absolute conclusion ... you may be barking up the wrong tree entirely.

Mr. Shealy to the courtesy phone.... Mr. Shealy.... Dave, have an opinion on this one?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts