BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just realized that my engine no longer smokes on cold startup when parked on the sidestand. It used to smoke pretty bad about 10% of the time and somebody figured out it probably had to do with the position of the cylinders when parked overnight. This seemed to be common to most LT's.

The 10% figure seemed to be about right for me and had happened when I had used BMW petroleum oil, BMW synthetic oil, Rotella semisynthetic, Mobil 1 motorcycle oil, and AMSOIL AMV motorcycle oil. At 126,600 miles I switched to AMSOIL MCV and now at 129,000 miles have realized I haven't seen any smoking probably since the oil change.

Looking at the typical properties for the old and new formulation AMSOIL, the new AMSOIL has a little higher viscosity at 40C and 100C. And the new formulation is supposed to be more shear resistant and retain its viscosity. So maybe less oil is slipping past the rings while on its sidestand now. I was concerned that the higher viscosity might lower my gas mileage, but it hasn't.

Anybody else notice this??? Or maybe my engine is finally broken in!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I have had a similar experience, but it was after I switched to Chevron Delo 400 oil. (15-40w non-synthetic)

·
Registered
197 Posts
You got it

DaveDragon said:
When you park the LT:

After shut down lean the LT to the Right side a little for 15-20 seconds than put it on the side stand.

No smoke on startup
That is exactly what I do Dave and never have an issue.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
DaveDragon said:
When you park the LT:

After shut down lean the LT to the Right side a little for 15-20 seconds than put it on the side stand.

No smoke on startup
Man, I am ALWAYS learning something new from the Dragon....

Now, not only do I not smoke (tried it today and damned if it does not work) ...

I suddenly have more friends, feel better on start up, have a better attitude toward life, whiter teeth and fresher breath ...and my wife has promised not to leave me!

THIS belongs in the HOW.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I got news for ya....BWW synthetic oil DOES smoke upon startup when using the sidestand.....and thats from 6000 miles on up to 24,000 miles....I'll give ya more reports as the miles pile up if ya want. And no...my LT did not smoke when using the centerstand....

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
doctorbeemer said:
synthetic oil does not smoke :bmw:
I beg to differ. DAMHIK.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Timvipond wrote
<snip> So maybe less oil is slipping past the rings while on its sidestand now.

I thought the path of oil entry into the combustion chamber is due to a valves remaining open. The exhaust valves especially. Your bike would suck and burn oil under motor breaking if the rings were shot.

·
Registered
215 Posts
If I lean my bike to right before putting on sidestand, what in the heck will the Goldwing guys have to pick at me about. :)
Leon
05 Blue LT

·
Registered
719 Posts
my bike has smoked twice, both times the next morning after riding all the previous day,,,right now its been on the side stand for the last 3 months, i started it yesterday not a puff of smoke

·
Registered
577 Posts
smoking on the side

Ater the purchase of the 03 CLC i read an article on the impact of breaking in the engine. My 03 smoked on start up, at first until about 12K miles to where it seemed to be eliminated by 24K mi. The article suggested a more agressive break-in style of riding would seat the rings better and eliminate any oil seeping past the pistons and needing to be burned off at start-up. i applied this info to the 04 CL and during the 4K miles I had this bike before I acquired the LT, the bike never smoked on start-up. Likewise the LT. Though I must admit the power center stand is used for parking 80% of the time or more.
Because of the bad harddrive in my old computer I do not have the website of this article. maybe someone else will post it. then you decide.
But you only get one chance to break in a new bike. the method you use does seem to make a difference.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Instead of telling new owners to hoist this pig on the center stand every time you park (I still have trouble, and just use the side stand unless I'm working on the bike), why doesn't BMW just FIX the problem. I've owned ALOT of bikes over the years and this has NEVER been an issue with any other bike I've owned. This and the lack of acceleration is making me question my decision not to get a wing.

·
Registered
820 Posts
No,no,no...

the smoke is a good thing.
make sure you over fill your oil level in the bike by a good 50%

this then covers the bike in smoke at all speeds and revs.
then you can be a spin off of "ghost rider" and to a zillion miles an hour anywhere,anytime, and nobody will know who you are.

You could even mount a video camera to your bike and sell it on dvd and make some extra cash for the turbo charger and nos to fit the the bike to give it a bit of extra zing.

I hope i have helped to clarify things a little for you all

·
IBR# 366
16,569 Posts
buddoggin said:
why doesn't BMW just FIX the problem . . . and the lack of acceleration
They have. The new K motor has cylinders angled upwards, and about 50% more power. You just have to buy a new bike.

But don't hold your breath waiting for them to fix this kind of stuff on the old bikes. They're pretty much done with those by now and well into the development of the replacement LT.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts