BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While at the National in Sedalia I bought sidestand feet for my wife's R1100RSL and my 2000 K1200LT. No problem with the wife's bike other than a bell ring when she puts the stand up but mine is another story. I was not too sure about the fit but the package did say that it was for the K1200LT/C. In Arkansas while riding two up (unusual for me) I was dragging stuff on both sides. In one lefthander I grounded fairly hard and ripped off my new Ilium Works foot. I found it on the return trip in the middle of the road. I contacted Ilium and sent pictures. They said that they had not heard of anyone dragging the sidestand and that my sidestand must have been modified. I call BS but am open to others experience. Has anyone else out there used this foot? It is model 12-600.

Thanks, Robert.
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
13,940 Posts
That one is pretty small compared to others I have seen, that do drag easily. Maybe you need a bit more preload in the suspention if you are dragging the side stand. Usually it is the center stand that hits first but if you look at LTs on the dragon we are talking mm between dragging and not dragging.

Oh I see you just ordered some new springs. Wait until you get those on before you remount the foot. I'll bet it stays put.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,886 Posts
If you told them your stand was not modified, I would like to believe that they would replace the foot, especially if you had the one that got torn off.

If it damaged your side stand and it is unusable, you can have one for just the cost of printing yourself a postage paid Priority Mail shipping label at USPS.com and emailing the label to me. I will use the label to send you a replacement if yours is not usable. I am pretty sure I have a spare side stand in the garage.

Better yet, if we are going to met at Dan's for a spring compression party, I can throw it in the trailer and bring it along. Might cost you a grape flavored Powerade Zero (stock up now, on sale for $0.59 at Kroger this week!).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
deputy5211 said:
If you told them your stand was not modified, I would like to believe that they would replace the foot, especially if you had the one that got torn off.

If it damaged your side stand and it is unusable, you can have one for just the cost of printing yourself a postage paid Priority Mail shipping label at USPS.com and emailing the label to me. I will use the label to send you a replacement if yours is not usable. I am pretty sure I have a spare side stand in the garage.

Better yet, if we are going to met at Dan's for a spring compression party, I can throw it in the trailer and bring it along. Might cost you a grape flavored Powerade Zero (stock up now, on sale for $0.59 at Kroger this week!).
Thanks, Tony. I believe that my sidestand is undamaged and unmodified. The pocket milled in the foot is not the same size or shape as the plate on the sidestand. This is the problem. I have a picture but I am unable to post it as I have exceeded my allowance on the gallery and don't know how to delete old pictures in the gallery. I also don't know how you guys put the nice little thumbnail links to pictures on your posts.

Robert
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,886 Posts
Scouter-50 said:
Thanks, Tony. I believe that my sidestand is undamaged and unmodified. The pocket milled in the foot is not the same size or shape as the plate on the sidestand. This is the problem. I have a picture but I am unable to post it as I have exceeded my allowance on the gallery and don't know how to delete old pictures in the gallery. I also don't know how you guys put the nice little thumbnail links to pictures on your posts.

Robert
Robert,

After you type in your message, scroll down to "Additional Options," below. You will see "Attach Files," and under that, "Manage Atachments."

Click the "Manage ATtachments" button and a box will pop up allowing you to browse your local drive for image/pdf/other files to attach. There is a size limit, which is something like 1.8MB, IIRC. After you locate the files, click the button to upload files and... bada boom, bada bing... there they are once you submit your message.

HTH
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
13,940 Posts
Just use a photo editor to re-size the picture to 250kb or less and you can post as an attachment. I also set my camera to "VGA" mode when I take the pic as that gets them at the right size.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
deputy5211 said:
Robert,

After you type in your message, scroll down to "Additional Options," below. You will see "Attach Files," and under that, "Manage Atachments."

Click the "Manage ATtachments" button and a box will pop up allowing you to browse your local drive for image/pdf/other files to attach. There is a size limit, which is something like 1.8MB, IIRC. After you locate the files, click the button to upload files and... bada boom, bada bing... there they are once you submit your message.

HTH
OK, lets try this.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
876 Posts
Lie under the bike when it's on the centre stand and survey the situation with the side stand. You will see that you can halve the thickness of the rubber bump stop, and if you bend the exhaust heat shield up ever so slightly where the side stand foot impacts, you will still not get a cow bell ring when you put the stand up. Next, note where the stand is scraping on the outer (under) side. Put the side stand down and take to the foot with a 5" grinder and cut-off wheel, removing about 4 mm on material parallel to the scrape edge. Next, if you are really keen, put the side stand back up and make a cardboard template of the insdie section of the side stand foot. You can increase the foot surface area here without reducing cornering clearance. The first 2 of these mods gain you about 10 degrees in left lean angle riding solo, less of course when 2 up, Benny Wilbers fixed that for me. ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,886 Posts
So, Robert, how did you fare with the "foot" manufacturer?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
deputy5211 said:
So, Robert, how did you fare with the "foot" manufacturer?
I haven't pushed it yet. I thought I'd wait till our tech session for springs to try the foot on others sidestands to see if I have a problem or if they do.

Robert
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Illium catalog lists just one sidestand foot enlarger for all model years of K1200LT, but Wunderlich sells two different enlargers. One is for model years to 05/2001, the other for 06/2001 and up. The later versions have a larger foot. My 2007 K1200LT has the larger foot and it appears from your picture that the enlarger you have would fit it nicely.

Just a thought, but maybe the smaller version from Wunderlich would fit better and give you the clearance you need. Hope you find a solution. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RRRider said:
Illium catalog lists just one sidestand foot enlarger for all model years of K1200LT, but Wunderlich sells two different enlargers. One is for model years to 05/2001, the other for 06/2001 and up. The later versions have a larger foot. My 2007 K1200LT has the larger foot and it appears from your picture that the enlarger you have would fit it nicely.

Just a thought, but maybe the smaller version from Wunderlich would fit better and give you the clearance you need. Hope you find a solution. :)
Thanks, I had my suspicions about the size of the foot varying with year models but Illium Works said that there was only one for all years. So much for their knowledge. I will check out Wunderlich. Thanks again, Robert.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's the reply from Illium when I sent them the link to Wunderlich:

"Hi Robert;

This is indeed a mystery, When I look up the parts on the BMW Parts Fiche, the same P/N, 46537666943, comes up for ’99-‘04 LT and ’05 –up LT. The illustration that goes along with the parts list doesn’t look like either your side stand or the one we have here for design purposes. Usually BMW is very good about giving a new part number when they make a change, however in this case it doesn’t seem to be the case. I will try to do some more research and find out what happened.

Thanks,

John"

I will certainly give them credit for a prompt reply. I don't doubt that BMW changes parts then does not acknowledge that fact. Will keep you posted on the ongoing saga.
Robert
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
476 Posts
My side stand extender definitely grinds a lot if I don't crank up the rear suspension preload, and still grinds a bit even with more preload applied. It is the same extender as the one you show, but my side stand foot fits it a whole lot better. I ground a fair bit of it off on a recent trip, and I plan to grind more off in my workshop to get some more clearance, because I do like the fact that in soft dirt it didn't sink while others were using extra plastic items or even found some rocks to put under their Sid stand. I also had to bend the exhaust heat shield to get it to fit under it in order to stop the dinging noise it made, and I had to add a rubber shim to the bump stop for the side stand because it was contacting the exhaust and vibrating on it due to the extra extended foot width.

I'm not sure why the manufacturer would say they have never heard of it grinding - I remember finding several posts on ths forum commenting on it (after I purchased it), although of course just because it gets stated here doesn't mean someone called the manufacturer. Because I own one, I'm gonna make it work!!!

Hope this helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Sidestand Foot Update

Iilium Works is a very honorable company. After several e-mails they could not figure out how BMW could have made two different side stands but only show one part number. I suspect that they just superseded the part with the newer one and did not document the change. Anyway, they gave me a full refund since their product would not fit as advertised. Reporting good companies as I meet them.
Robert
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,886 Posts
That is a nice surprise, Robert. I suspected that your issue fell through the cracks.

Kudos to Iilium Works, and goodonya for following it through and posting the update for us.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top