BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need more clearance Clarance!
Did a search but didn't find anything.

When riding 2-up, the sidestand will drag at even moderate lean angles (already have an Ohlins and adjusted it all the way up).

I'm thinking of trimming down the rubber snubber to let the sidestand retract higher up, closer to the body of the bike.

Any suggestion how much to take off? The snubber/bumper is really long so there is a lot of potential there. The assist lever sits far off the body of the bike so judging by that, I should be able to get the stand to sit up higher. I've done the same with other bikes I've had.

I've read most of ya'll just grind the sidestand the passive way (let the pavement do the work), but the SO doesn't like it when the sparks are coming off the bike. :cool:

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Something sounds wrong if you dragging like that with new shocks. :eek: I used to drag when my oem shocks were shot.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
centre stand will hit before the sidestand its lower to the ground, at least it does on mine frightened the sh## outta me till I got used to it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Get out the mini hacksaw and take a big chunk off of the sidestand rubber bung. It makes quite a difference. Mine is only 1/2 inch long now, maybe less.

I've done it on both my LT's, this time as soon as I got it home.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Dave,

It normally is the edge of the center stand that drags first. It also has a rubber stop for the upward position. I have heard of people cutting some of that away. I ground mine down the old fashion way until I replaced the shock springs with the Hyperpro rising rate springs.

With Ohlins this doesn't sound common. Maybe they need a rebuild or there is a problem with your pre load adjuster.

Ron

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
My center stand touches first despite a previous owner cutting down the rubber stopper to the extent that it now bashes against the pillion footpeg!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the inputs.

I would've swore it was the sidestand just barely touching down but I'll check the centerstand for scrapes too.

Heck, I'll just raise them both up. :p

The Ohlins came with the bike. Not sure how long they've been on there or what their condition is. It likely could use a rebuild but I've got a shopping list of things to do already.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, it was as I suspected. The sidestand is touching down. It may not be lower than the centerstand, but being out to the side, it gets closer to the ground sooner. In any case, I trimmed some of the rubber stopper and now it sits up higher and closer to the bike. There is still plenty of clearance between the assist lever and the body of the bike.

Now I'll have to see how much the centerstand gets in the way. I'm pretty sure I haven't touched it down on right-hand turns yet so hopefully I can get pretty aggressive before I start the sparks show again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts