BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is something i have not seen before.Stopped in my garage and flipped the sidestand out on my 2011 1200 RT and nearly dropped the bike!The spring bracket that is supposed to be welded to the sidestand came off and had not deployed the stand fully.No damage done thankfully.A ROC strap to hold the stand securely in place and off to the dealer who fitted a new stand under warranty today.Check the two little tacks that are supposed to be welds?Sure hope the welds on the frame are better than this!The new stand has proper ones,i already checked.Cheers.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
Thanks for the warning!

I never put body weight on a sidestand, only motorcycle weight. So far no problems.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
I too have a backrest installed. I step up on the foot peg to make it easier to swing my leg over the backrest. Thanks for the heads-up! I'll keep an eye on it.

Regards,

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I suggest that if there is something on the back that prevents sweeping your leg over to get on the bike that you put the bike on the center stand then get on via the pegs. I believe even the owners manual suggests not to put rider weight on the side stand. At any rate, it is an iffy proposition to do so, and very hard to recover from if the side stand fails.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Question is...If the bike had fallen to the ground, and sustained damage due to a faulty kickstand? Would the same dealer that replaced the sidestand have covered the damage to the bike?...How is that for "food for thought"

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Thanks for letting us know. I put my weight on it and I can tell you it's a bit more than anyone here, most likely. never again...

·
Registered
181 Posts
THERIDGE said:
This is something i have not seen before.Stopped in my garage and flipped the sidestand out on my 2011 1200 RT and nearly dropped the bike!The spring bracket that is supposed to be welded to the sidestand came off and had not deployed the stand fully.No damage done thankfully.A ROC strap to hold the stand securely in place and off to the dealer who fitted a new stand under warranty today.Check the two little tacks that are supposed to be welds?Sure hope the welds on the frame are better than this!The new stand has proper ones,i already checked.Cheers.
Mine failed (08RT) last year on the way to the rally in Redmond; We stopped to take some more pictures of the adventure we were on at a nice scenic stop (Near Sturgis), put the bike on the side stand walked off to snap some pictures and then saw a bunch of people staring where everyone's bikes were parked and well what do you know, my bikes side stand collapsed and there it is on the ground. Took a bunch of pictures before picking it up documenting all of the damages (side case, side valve cover, blinker, plastic panels, top case and collapsed side stand).

Contacted BMW and they directed us to the Sturgis dealer which we were lucky was still open, rode over and had them write up their findings since they didn't have the parts to replace in stock. We used the center stand the rest of the trip, made it back to Michigan and everything was replaced under warranty :bmw:

Not a common issue but "stuff happens".

Other than that the trip was Excellent !

·
Registered
112 Posts
beech said:
I suggest that if there is something on the back that prevents sweeping your leg over to get on the bike that you put the bike on the center stand then get on via the pegs. I believe even the owners manual suggests not to put rider weight on the side stand. At any rate, it is an iffy proposition to do so, and very hard to recover from if the side stand fails.
Seems odd to me that the side stand is designed to only support the weight of the bike but that is exactly what the manual states. This means that the stand should be retracted before mounting? And dismount before extending the side stand? On a bicycle, sure, but a 600-pound machine? Ludicrous.

BTW, this same statement appears for both the side stand and center stand:

"Do not lean or sit on the motorcycle with the <side/center> stand extended."

Finally, the OP's photos show the assist spring breaking from the side stand. The side stand itself did not separate from the motorcycle.

FWIW...

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
With RT on sidestand, I throw my leg over the saddle, put both feet on the ground, straighten the RT, and then raise the sidestand. I never put my weight on the sidestand. No big deal.

Similar approach when RT is on center stand. With both feet on the ground I push the bike forward and off the center stand. Instead of lifting the sidestand with my left foot, I raise the center stand. I never put my weight on the center stand. No big deal.

·
Registered
112 Posts
jeffdean said:
With RT on sidestand, I throw my leg over the saddle, put both feet on the ground, straighten the RT, and then raise the sidestand. I never put my weight on the sidestand. No big deal.

Similar approach when RT is on center stand. With both feet on the ground I push the bike forward and off the center stand. Instead of lifting the sidestand with my left foot, I raise the center stand. I never put my weight on the center stand. No big deal.
Good for taller riders. For shorter riders like me, not so much...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wow, I have had BMW salesman tell me know problem using the side stand and putting my left foot on the peg and swing my leg over.....Now I am not so sure. Funny, but as I was leaving the dealer last week after an oil change on my 2011RT the service writer saw me do that and he said don't as there is not enough support ( I weigh 185 lbs). I thought to myself he doesn't know what he is talking about....maybe he does. From now on I guess I limber up and swing over or jettison myself onto the seat!

·
Registered
391 Posts
jeffdean said:

Same here, Jeff, exactly. On my old 1980 RT there was never a problem in all 22 years I had it, so far nothing with the 2010 either. Fingers however, are crossed. :bmw:
Dave

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
I have been stepping up on the peg with the RT on the side stand since I put the Bakup driver's backrest on. This backrest works great BUT only the backrest tilts and not the entire support arm like the Mustang backrest for a HD. I can't lift my leg high enough to clear the backrest from the ground. I am going to work on my flexibility and see if I can just get my leg across in front of the backrest.

Last week Jeff Dean was parked next to me and I saw him push his RT off the center stand as he described. It looked good but I haven't tried it yet. I am 6 ft tall but have only a 30" inseam. So, I might have more problems than Jeff as he is probably 3" taller than I am. But I am going to try his method.

BTW, we have heard other talk about "driving off" the center stand. My local dealer definitely does not recommend that method claiming it will eventually break the center stand.

Again, thanks for the heads-up! The last thing I would want is to have that side stand let go with me standing on it!

Regards,

·
Registered
98 Posts
Cessna,
How do you "drive off the centerstand".
If the rear wheel isn't touching the ground it's hard to "drive off".
If you are talking about sitting on the bike when it's on the centerstand and pushing off with your feet so that the bike goes forward off the stand that is different.
Have done that hundreds (thousands) of times on the K75 and now off the RT with no problems.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
vulcan said:
Cessna,
How do you "drive off the centerstand".
If the rear wheel isn't touching the ground it's hard to "drive off".
If you are talking about sitting on the bike when it's on the centerstand and pushing off with your feet so that the bike goes forward off the stand that is different.
Have done that hundreds (thousands) of times on the K75 and now off the RT with no problems.
Maybe that is how they do it. It was mentioned in another thread on this sight a few months ago. My dealer said not to do it. I think the problem is if you rock it off with you feet on the pegs so that your weight would be on the bike. I wouldn't think the method you describe would be a problem.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Not using the side stand to support body weight is motorcycle 101- where have you guys been? If you need the pegs to swing over, use the center stand. Doesn't excuse sloppy manufacturing of the side stand piece- glad to hear BMW covered all the plastic damage from that episode. Pretty easy to ring up a hefty bill because of a couple sloppy welds.

Re "riding off the center stand"- suggest you take a real good look at those dinky 10 mm bolts holding the center stand that have the threads carrying a shear load on the current RT (I'd have designed it with 12mm and not have the threads in shear). They've been reported to break from fatigue from this practice or from twisting the bars too much while the bike is on the center stand and the front wheel is on the ground. A broken center stand gets very close to the rear wheel....Pushing off with your feet puts minimal stress on the part.

·
Registered
215 Posts
My wife is a little on the heavy side so I leave side stand down untill she's on the bike
If I don't do that then I'm not sure how to support her weight untill she is up on the saddle.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Twincruise - I've been doing it for years both on motorcycles and on tandem bicycles (no side stands here!). The secret is to wedge the bike between your knees and use your knees to counter the weight shift in the bike. Don't use your arms - you don't want to pull the bike upright, you want to keep it from moving by creating outrigger supports (your legs) that prevent it from tipping.

Specifically:

• Get on bike.
  • Pull bike to upright position off the side stand. May wish to keep the side stand down as insurance in case the bike gets away from you.
  • Stand on ground and wedge the tank between your knees to stabilize it. Hands on handlebars. You can't be sitting here or else you'll have a bad angle with your legs - gotta be standing.
  • Have wife mount up keeping as close to the centerline of the bike as possible. Work out between you which side you feel the most comfortable having her come from. I prefer my passenger to mount from the right side of the bike so that I can drive my right leg into the tank to keep the bike upright.
You might want to rent a 10-year old from the neighbors to get you used to it, then work up to your wife.

Let us know how it works.

JayJay

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
JayJay has a good system for mounting a passenger.

My wife weighs 125 lbs. She is no problem as a passenger.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts