BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently riding a 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale with an Equalean sidecar. At some point in the (hopefully) near future I would like to change bikes to solve some potential problems as well as get a more recent bike. I like the looks of the R1200CLC but would like some input as to the viability of this model to haul a sidecar, given that it would be a reduction in Hp by about 30% and if someone runs one of these with a hack, can you point out where your attachment points are given that that the engine is part of the support structure?

Thanks!

Barend

·
Registered
444 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
I recall a similar rig at a TWT pie run a couple of years back.
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showpost.php?p=653805&postcount=24

scroll down about 1/3 way and then there's a couple more images through all the postings. Sorry, I can't recall whose rig that is to give you a contact, but at least you can see putting a hack on a R1200C has been done.

good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dave! Maybe the owner will show up and he can tell me how well the bike handles as a tractor.

·
Registered
235 Posts
you will probably have to either buy or build a subframe. the subframe will attache on the bottom of the engine where the frame engine mounts are. google united sidecar , i think, association. also check out hack'd magazine. i found a subframe for a r1100r advertised on line . it was built in britain. i hope that helps.

·
Registered
130 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
The bike should be able to handle it just fine, you'll starting will be slowed down but hey..it is a compromise.
The hook up is an other story. It is bike specific, you can not just simply switch from bike to bike. Hannigan may be willing to build you one--I don't know if they would just build an under carriage with the proper connections.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts