BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 09 LT with a Hannigan sidecar. Occasionally on a sidecar rig, it is handy to have a parking brake. I have used the Velcro strap around the brake lever but I don't really trust it. I have discovered that if I put the bike in reverse, it holds pretty well. Does anyone know if this is causing any damage. The bike is in neutral with the engine idling. Any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
No it will not cause any damage but it also may not hold the rig as you think it will. I have been able to roll my two wheel rig while in reverse on a slope, which surprised me as I thought it would make a good brake.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No it will not cause any damage but it also may not hold the rig as you think it will. I have been able to roll my two wheel rig while in reverse on a slope, which surprised me as I thought it would make a good brake.
The place that I would use it the most is my drive which as a slight slope and it seems to hold but thanks for the warning, I may need to use both the reverse and Velcro strap.

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
Hi , if you park on a good slop a parking brake might not be a bad thing... But after putting a total 250,000 miles on between 3 sidecar rigs I have managed to get along with out one . I just don't park on big slops..:wave

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
The place that I would use it the most is my drive which as a slight slope and it seems to hold but ..
Try putting something behind the drive axle a few feet back so the bike will not get away on you . Then give it a push to see if it will hold in first gear . If it doesn't , you got some thinkin' to do...if it does hold ...you should be good.:wave

Reactions: saddleman

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
I also have an '09 LT with a Hannigan SP2 . . . maybe I need better understand under what conditions you feel a parking brake would be helpful?

If you were to activate the current braking system by some external method, as you have done, not sure if placing constant long term pressure on the hydraulic system for extended periods of time would be detrimental to the system . . . . . . maybe John or Dave could address.

Not that you would but starting the bike up with pressure applied to the brake system may present issues as well.

However, rather than dismissing this desire / issue, maybe more dialog could uncover a simple / elegant solution

My 2¢ . . .

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
I also have an '09 LT with a Hannigan SP2 . . . maybe I need better understand under what conditions you feel a parking brake would be helpful?

If you were to activate the current braking system by some external method, as you have done, not sure if placing constant long term pressure on the hydraulic system for extended periods of time would be detrimental to the system . . . . . . maybe John or Dave could address.

Not that you would but starting the bike up with pressure applied to the brake system may present issues as well.

However, rather than dismissing this desire / issue, maybe more dialog could uncover a simple / elegant solution

My 2¢ . . .
I don’t see any reason that long term pressure would cause any issue with the brakes. Actually, my Polaris Sportsman ATV has exactly such a parking brake. There is a catch on the brake lever that will hold it in one of two positions. Then when you pull on the brake lever again, it releases. It is the most effective parking brake I have seen, other than the maxi-brakes on a semi. The second notch requires you to really squeeze the lever in about what you would use in a panic stop. It holds very firmly and my kids have put the brakes in the parking position even when on the level in my garage and it has been on for a week or longer at a time with no ill effects. I have no idea if a system like that on the Polaris could be adapted to a motorcycle.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,989 Posts
On his 09 LT once you turn the power off the servo brakes are almost useless. With the power off I can't stop a bike from rolling down my motorcycle lift ramp.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1st gear won't hold a sidecar rig ?.
I guess my explanation was lacking. I was referring to using the reverse setting on a running sidecar rig. Like when I have started the bike and rolled it outside and need to close the garage door or get something from the trunk. It would just be a convience kind of thing.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
That would be fine as long as it is not a steep slope, no harm to the bike doing that. Just remember if hit the starter button while re-mounting it will move.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
I use reverse to hold the bike on the slope at the shop so I can use the EHCS.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
I use reverse to hold the bike on the slope at the shop so I can use the EHCS.
I would have though there would be an interlock on the EHCS for reverse, but there is not. It only checks that you are in neutral (have to be in neutral for reverse), brakes off and side stand is up.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for the advice. It's nice to know that it is ok to use this "parking brake".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts