BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me say once done its not that bad but its a learning experience.
Some things I learned the hard way.
A. Keep a record of what length screw comes out of what hole.
B. Do not overtighten the screws when putting back on.
C. There are retaining screw clips that can fall off or out of place. Make sure they are all lined up before screwing tupperware back on. I had one more screw to go and sure enough thats the one that had fallen in a place I could not get to without removing the tupperware again. So be careful. Kind of a pain but glad I learned. Should be easier next time.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
yep, felt that pain before.... scary, wasn't it!! :eek:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tell you it was. I am not great with tools or mechanical stuff like some are. I am very good with electronics. I felt great and very proud of myself when I stood back after finishing. The only help I got was off this great forum. Next time or even a different piece of tupperware wont be as near as hard I feel.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Tupperware removal/instalaltion can be a challange, but don't let it get you down. I had similar problems on my RT the first time and the first time I removed any new tupperware. Like the tail section just recently to install red LED reflectors. I tightened down the inner support for the rack, but forgot I had other bolts to put in first. So, apart it came again and I did it the correct way.

I had similar issues with alignment. What I learned form my Concours and used on my RT is to put the bolts in, but not tighten them more than half way. Get all the bolts in first, then and only then, thighten the bolts down snugly. That way you can be sure the bolts are aligned as is the tupperware. It's also a good idea to pick up a tap and die set. I use them to clean the bolts or nuts at times. Particulalry if they have ever been cross threaded.

And a picture of the tupperware where you can mark bolt sizes is also a good idea. As is using ziplock baggies to hold bolts. I label them per tupperware piece. If I have multiple sizes, I use snack size bags inside the tupperware bag to hold different size screws and mark where these came from on the bag. I reuse the bags.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I am neither mechanical or any good with electronics but working on the LT is very simple.

Is it me, or does it really make sense when you take off the plastic?

It just works.

Damned German Engineering! :p

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
To keep up with the proper placement of the 3 different size screws I use this:
Take a permanent marker and just outside the screw dead(on the Tupperware) put dots. 1 for the longest, 2 for the next longest and 3 for the shortest.
No need to look at a diagram or list. The dots aren't seen since most are covered by plastic.
Works for me!

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
About those retaining screw clips - never put a damaged or rusty one back.
Keep a bag of spares so you don't get tempted.
Drilling the bolt head off when those things start spinning is a PITA...........don't ask me how long it took me to learn this!!

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
I bought my LT 3 years ago the second Day I had it I saw a small (dime size) oil drop below it :eek: My wife was out of town so I started to remove parts to see if I could find the leak. About 3 hours later EVERY piece of tupperware but the nose cone was off. Had the valve cover and crank cover off also. That's when Sammie came home :eek: She freaked out to say the least. The good news was I fixed the leak and have not had one sense. Altho I did have ONE screw left over. to this day I have never found where that screw came from :rolleyes:

·
Registered
415 Posts
I just finished taking the plastic off for the first time also, I took a 2' x 4' piece of plywood, drew the shapes of all the panels and then drilled holes for all the screws. I just plugged the screws in the corresponding holes in the plywood as they came off.

Easy to do and the template just hangs on the wall when done. I also dropped one of the last screws down by the tank and had to pull it all off again.

Ron

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I have been told by a fair number of people with high levels of experience working on LTs, and the consistent message was to generally not worry about the screw sizes. If the screw fits, use it. If it does not engage, use a larger screw.

Places that need the very short screws are just aft of the oddiments box lock; long screws mess with the lock. The windshied retainers have their own hex cerew. The rear most screw on the chrome trim, on the shot side next to the main body, that is a long screw.

I've had her stripped down at least a half dozen times, and no issues with the screws. I cannot tell how many leftovers I have as I have several coffee cans containing a myriad of screws collectyed from disassembling four LTs.

In other words, Just Screw It!!!

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
bblalock said:
To keep up with the proper placement of the 3 different size screws I use this:
Take a permanent marker and just outside the screw dead(on the Tupperware) put dots. 1 for the longest, 2 for the next longest and 3 for the shortest.
No need to look at a diagram or list. The dots aren't seen since most are covered by plastic.
Works for me!
I've had my LT for 2 1/2 years and have yet to do any of the work on it. I'm talking myself into it (gradually!), and this tip makes so much sense that I will be happy to use it and give you credit for it.

The least I can do is change the fluids on the LT. I just received a set of LT service videos from Paul Sayegh to help me with that. A lift is next!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts