BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
Joined
·
8,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While at CCR Sammie & I would like to go up to Canada for the day.
Any suggestions on route & where to go?
By looking at the map I see Thunder Bay going North East & Fort Francis to the North West. Anything worth seeing or doing at either place?

I've only been to Toronto Ontario about 10 years ago when I was driving truck over the road & Sammie has never been.

Thunder Bay will be 9 hours & 400 miles round trip. Not leaving a lot of time to sight see.
Ft Francis is 7 hours & 330 miles round trip. Giving a little more time to see things but not much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
596 Posts
Why not drive around lake supierior?
I dont think there is too much in Thunder Bay.
Saint Marie might be a better choice
depends on your flavour of nice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
558 Posts
Take a look at the maps on the RideLakeSuperior.com website. As the routes lead into Canada, it shows dozens of things to see and do.


katnapinn said:
While at CCR Sammie & I would like to go up to Canada for the day.
Any suggestions on route & where to go?
By looking at the map I see Thunder Bay going North East & Fort Francis to the North West. Anything worth seeing or doing at either place?

I've only been to Toronto Ontario about 10 years ago when I was driving truck over the road & Sammie has never been.

Thunder Bay will be 9 hours & 400 miles round trip. Not leaving a lot of time to sight see.
Ft Francis is 7 hours & 330 miles round trip. Giving a little more time to see things but not much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
I live in Thunder Bay and will be at CCR. Friends that we're meeting at CCR will be coming home with us for a day or 2 before heading east along the north shore of Superior, we'll be accompanying them to the Sault (8 hour drive) with a stop in Rossport (2 hour drive) for lunch at Serendipity restaurant.

We'll be leaving Duluth for Grand Marais, a 1 1/2 hour drive north and then turning off to have lunch at Trails End up the Gunflint Rd. On the way north is Split Rock Lighthouse, a great spot but its been re-worked over the last few years and hosts a lot of tourists, 1 hour north of Duluth.
Thunder Bay has some good lookout spots, a view of the Sleeping Giant and of course our world famour Finn pancakes at the Hoito restaurant. Heading east from T Bay along the shore of Superior is one of the more remote rides in Canada, high cliffs, Lake Superior, deep rock cuts and too many scenic views to describe. It can get cool when travelling along the shoeline.
Hwy 11 runs into Sault Ste Marie where you can cross back into the U.S. and complete the circle route around L Superior. Lots of good places to stop on the south shore and I suspect there will be several CCR attendees that decide to do the Circle Tour.

Duluth is only 3.5 hours from Thunder Bay if you don't stop. Lots of deer on the road between Duluth and Thunder Bay and also on the south shore...keep your eyes open. Talk to me at CCR if you want to accompany us north or if you want more riding info about the north shore.

Fort Frances is a small mill town that straddles the border, not a lot too see except boreal forest. Thunder Bay is slightly larger than Duluth, population of 110,000 and sits right on the lake.

You'll need drivers license and birth certificate or passport to get into Canada, sounds like you need an enhamced license or passport to get back into the U.S....better check what's required.

Ron Vilim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
631 Posts
itspossible said:
I live in Thunder Bay and will be at CCR. Friends that we're meeting at CCR will be coming home with us for a day or 2 before heading east along the north shore of Superior, we'll be accompanying them to the Sault (8 hour drive) with a stop in Rossport (2 hour drive) for lunch at Serendipity restaurant.

We'll be leaving Duluth for Grand Marais, a 1 1/2 hour drive north and then turning off to have lunch at Trails End up the Gunflint Rd. On the way north is Split Rock Lighthouse, a great spot but its been re-worked over the last few years and hosts a lot of tourists, 1 hour north of Duluth.
Thunder Bay has some good lookout spots, a view of the Sleeping Giant and of course our world famour Finn pancakes at the Hoito restaurant. Heading east from T Bay along the shore of Superior is one of the more remote rides in Canada, high cliffs, Lake Superior, deep rock cuts and too many scenic views to describe. It can get cool when travelling along the shoeline.
Hwy 11 runs into Sault Ste Marie where you can cross back into the U.S. and complete the circle route around L Superior. Lots of good places to stop on the south shore and I suspect there will be several CCR attendees that decide to do the Circle Tour.

Duluth is only 3.5 hours from Thunder Bay if you don't stop. Lots of deer on the road between Duluth and Thunder Bay and also on the south shore...keep your eyes open. Talk to me at CCR if you want to accompany us north or if you want more riding info about the north shore.

Fort Frances is a small mill town that straddles the border, not a lot too see except boreal forest. Thunder Bay is slightly larger than Duluth, population of 110,000 and sits right on the lake.

You'll need drivers license and birth certificate or passport to get into Canada, sounds like you need an enhamced license or passport to get back into the U.S....better check what's required.

Ron Vilim
Hi Ron. That circle tour sounds great! Do you by any chance have a Garmin route plotted for it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
651 Posts
Ask your insurance carrier for the Canadian insurance card 30 days in advance....
 

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
Joined
·
8,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sammie & I have decided to add a 6th day to our trip to CCR & go around the North shore of Lake Superior from Sault Saint Marie to Duluth
CLICK HERE for the route.
We plan on stopping around Terrance Bay , Schreiber or Rossport as that will be the half way point.

Can some one recommend a place to stay. I've looked at THIS THREAD Posted by Brad & it shows a couple of places to stay but was hoping that someone who has stayed in the area can chime in.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
562 Posts
We were looking at doing the same route as you. Garmin’s Mapsource shows it to be 600+ miles. Your Mapquest link says it is only 321 miles. Which is correct?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,416 Posts
First leg is 322. Second leg is 303. 625 total.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
631 Posts
sorchilla said:
We were looking at doing the same route as you. Garmin’s Mapsource shows it to be 600+ miles. Your Mapquest link says it is only 321 miles. Which is correct?
Can you attach your garmin mapsource route?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
Steve,

With respect to your question about accomodations on the north shore. I've stayed in Rossport at The Willows B&B, its great, also there's Serendipity B&B in Rossport, very nice. Other than that there is the Red Dog Inn in Terrace Bay, its OK and in Schreiber the Cosianna Inn, also not too bad.

Rossport is 2 hours from Thunder Bay and 5-5.5 hours from Duluth, its right on the lake and has the amazing Serendipity restaurant, worth the stay alone. Its a very small village, maybe 200 residents so make sure you reserve if you plan on staying.

Ron
 

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
Joined
·
8,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
itspossible said:
Steve,

With respect to your question about accomodations on the north shore. I've stayed in Rossport at The Willows B&B, its great, also there's Serendipity B&B in Rossport, very nice. Other than that there is the Red Dog Inn in Terrace Bay, its OK and in Schreiber the Cosianna Inn, also not too bad.

Rossport is 2 hours from Thunder Bay and 5-5.5 hours from Duluth, its right on the lake and has the amazing Serendipity restaurant, worth the stay alone. Its a very small village, maybe 200 residents so make sure you reserve if you plan on staying.

Ron
Thanks Ron this is just the info I was looking for. I had looked at both of those B&B's & thought either might be a good choice But first hand experience & knowledge of the places is always best.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top