BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased an 09 K1200LT. I went for a ride yesterday with 4 Harley buddies. Whenever we stopped and I used the side stand (I primarily use the center stand) we were all surprised at how far over the LT leaned. It leans farther over than any of the Harley's. I am scared to use it. Is this normal??

Thanks for your help,

David

·
Registered
240 Posts
I agree....The only time i use it is at the gas station...I feel like it is going to tip over everytime i get off....very uneasy feeling

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
My 99 and then my 03 LTs did not lean anywhere near as much as my 05 LT does. It is to the point that my lovely passenger prefers that I use the center stand whenever possible. I guess we can attribute this to the change in the front rake angle that occurred on the 05 and later models...???

·
Registered
65 Posts
I saw a LT at the local dealer get together last Saturday that had put a pad on his side stand, I was about 3 inches across and was held on by 3 screws, was approx 1/2 thick and looked like it held the bike up very well, compared to mine sitting right next to it. Who would of thunk it. I will try to find out where he got it and post back.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Guys;

Check the classified section, there is a guy that manufactures the "PUCK" which does help with the lean angle. Nice product, worth the cost.

Bowdon

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have an 08 LT and I had the same concerns about how far it leans; let me tell you a story, I was parked in a parking lot on a trip, and a truck backed into the LT while it was parked on the sidestand. It cracked the fairing broke out the front headlight, and moved the bike back about 5-6 inches and did not fall.... so it is more stable than one thinks!!

·
Registered
912 Posts
I have the aforemetioned puck and it worked great for about 2 years. I really need new shocks How can I tell? I not only scrape more 2-up, but the side stand is difficult to raise on many surfaces.

I see Ohlins in my future. But until then, I may remove it this winter. I kind of enjoy having my feet flat on the ground.

You can search the internet and find some alternatives for the puck. Yes, it does lean more but as has been said, its also very sturdy. I use it most of the time and always in gas stations.

I am sure you know, but never, never use the side stand unless the bike is in gear. Gravity, or even a good nudge can move the bike if you do not have it locked in gear. But then, you do the same thing with a car, don't you.

Bill

Regards, Bill

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
So there you go David. Buy & install Bills' worn out stocker shocks! Problem solved! :histerica:histerica:histerica

He'll probably even cut you a deal on them like maybe $2800 for the set???

Loren

WildBil said:
I have the aforemetioned puck and it worked great for about 2 years. I really need new shocks How can I tell? I not only scrape more 2-up, but the side stand is difficult to raise on many surfaces.

I see Ohlins in my future. But until then, I may remove it this winter. I kind of enjoy having my feet flat on the ground.

You can search the internet and find some alternatives for the puck. Yes, it does lean more but as has been said, its also very sturdy. I use it most of the time and always in gas stations.

I am sure you know, but never, never use the side stand unless the bike is in gear. Gravity, or even a good nudge can move the bike if you do not have it locked in gear. But then, you do the same thing with a car, don't you.

Bill

Regards, Bill

·
Registered
426 Posts
Winter is here, check your local sporting goods store for their hockey supplies. A hockey puck costs about 5 bucks. With the puck and a few bolts, try elevator bolts they have large flat heads, you can whip yourself up a puck. If you want a better look, trace the side stand foot outline on the puck, then carv out a place for the foot to fit in to. Will look better in the long run and mounting it will work better too.

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you guys are so clever!! and witty too!!

·
Registered
349 Posts
I was amused to read this, because every time I put mine on the stand it worries me that it doesn't lean over far enough and seems like it would be easy to knock over to the right. The first few days I was pulling it to unload the suspension and have it lean more.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Found my extra puck the other day and decided to see what it would do on the LT. So here it is. One shot is of the bike with the puck , the next without the puck. Does make a difference. Can really notice it getting on the bike, much less effort getting it upright off of the side stand. Depending on slope of the ground, the puck could make it too upright.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
I park my 02 on it's side stand 99% of the time (I know, I live where it is flat) and have never thought it would fall over except one time in the side of the interstate, and it would not lean far enough!

Only time I use the center stand is in the garage for maintenance.

Every time I think I need to modify something on this bike, after giving it a lot of thought, except for the headlight and seat heat control switch, I realize the the BMW engineers gave a lot of thought to the way this bike was designed and most mods are not necessary.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ditto to Dan

I immediately noticed the greater lean on my LT on the sidestand than with my former GT. Still, I use the stock sidestand all the time (except maintenance). I've never had a problem with it falling over. Yes, I too make certain the bike is in gear before killing the engine by putting the sidestand down.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts