BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 K1200LT. I find the "foot" profile on the side stand to be rather small for such a heavy large bike. On a few occasions, I have felt the bike starting to fall over as I was getting off. Once this was on dirt, another time on asphalt. I was able to catch it before the bike fell over, luckily. I purchased a "side stand foot" from ilium Works on line. It is a bolt on item, very easy to install ( took a couple minutes). No drilling or modifications were needed. It significantly enlarges the contact point of the side stand. My bike now feels much more secure on the side stand. Cost was about $42, including tax and shipping. It is a great improvement. Downside: On aggressive left turns, the added piece does scrape slightly.It is a very low key scraping sound, not jarring or concerning. Overall, I would heavily recommend the item.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hi David,

Man, that sounds really good where or how could one purchase this item? any pics on the profile of the footprint?

Thanks in advance

Arthur J.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I just did the same thing, bolted on a plastic sidestand support and ground it down on a left corner. Dammmmm

But it does give me piece of mind in a soft parking lot.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I also picked one up a few weeks ago. It does make me feel better. I will start a coast to coast probably about June 14 and I felt it may be a bit of extra insurance to avoid a tip over while on my solo trip.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Mine got completely ripped off after two tight hi speed turns in big bend national park, otherwise worked good while it lasted

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
M52908D said:
I have a 2001 K1200LT. I find the "foot" profile on the side stand to be rather small for such a heavy large bike. On a few occasions, I have felt the bike starting to fall over as I was getting off. Once this was on dirt, another time on asphalt. I was able to catch it before the bike fell over, luckily. I purchased a "side stand foot" from ilium Works on line. It is a bolt on item, very easy to install ( took a couple minutes). No drilling or modifications were needed. It significantly enlarges the contact point of the side stand. My bike now feels much more secure on the side stand. Cost was about $42, including tax and shipping. It is a great improvement. Downside: On aggressive left turns, the added piece does scrape slightly.It is a very low key scraping sound, not jarring or concerning. Overall, I would heavily recommend the item.
Not so fast!
Recommendation based on what. It may work for you but not for everyone or every situation. I want to think that BMW have the best engineers in their design department. And a piece like that permanently on the stand could create a problem. You did mention scraping the ground in turns and probably for a not so experienced rider as yourself BANG some mishap. I think a portable side stand plate could do the same job and safer.
ride safe :bmw:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for the referral David. I am going to give this part a try. Almost had mine fall a couple of times two weeks ago on a trip. There were no BMW engineers around to help pick it up had it done so...thanks for post.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts