BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My left knee pad is peeling away from the fairing along the lower edge and up some inches, affecting a total area larger than 10" X 10". I tried some generic spray automotive adhesive, some clamps etc. but that's not held. Can anyone suggest what's worked for them?

Thanks
JD

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have had great success with the 3M spray adhesive you get at a walmart in the body and car paint area. The main thing is to read the instructions and follow them closely.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I tried the 3M route and could not get mine to stick (on my 00 LT)

I took to an auto upholstery shop and they seemed to do a good job but it started to ballon right before I sold my '00 for an '09.

good luck

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Guys, those are air bags :histerica

·
Registered
607 Posts
Boatzo said:
Guys, those are air bags :histerica

Bill, those air bags did not even inflate when I needed them to.

Just sayin'...

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Clean both the underside of the vinyl and plastic as best you can with DAWN dish washing liquid and a scrub brush. You did notice that I said DAWN dish washing liquid.... :D

Rinse several times with fresh water.

Let dry for a couple of days during low humidity. If you don't the vinyl will retain water and the glue won't stick.

Using 3M Super 90 spray adhesive apply a LIGHT coating to both surfaces, let it tack for 30 seconds and then press them together, smoothing out any bubbles or wrinkles with your hands. Keep smoothing it out and apply uniform pressure for a minute or two.

Once you've applied the adhesive you only get one chance to do this right... ;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
I actually stripped both sides down on mine because they were both separating. I stripped everything off and cleaned as good as possible. Bought some Marine vinyl material from JoAnn fabrics and reglued on using "3M Scotch-Weld 1357". Rather expensive but works great. You have to be very careful applying the vinyl. Once it touches it stays. Cut a piece larger than the bodywork to give your self room for misalignment. You can trim it afterwards. Start contact in the center and work out from there. I han an extra set of hands hold up the material on the outsides so it would not accidentally touch and stick. Like I said once it touches that's where it stays. Took me two attempts on the first one as it touched and stuck in a bad spot. You won't get any chance to shift it around once it touches. You will have to pull the new vinyl off and reclean again. The reason you can not glue the OEM stuff back successfully is because of the deteriorated foam padding that BMW put beneath their vinyl. I just put the vinyl directly on the fiberglass and it looks fantastic. Been on for 3 years now. I also covered over the original rear speaker vinyl also because they were getting severely cracked from weather. My seat is showing cracks also now and I am contemplating gluing a sheet of vinyl over the top of that old vinyl also but I have not gotten up the nerve yet. That will be bit more of a challenge.
Anyway the short answer to your question was "3M Scotch-Weld 1357". Follow the directions on the can and you will not be disappointed. I tried numerous others with little satisfaction.
Oh, a very important point I did not mention is that I totally removed those two panels. Do not attempt to do this without removing those panels completely to recover.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
GlennM86 said:
Bill, those air bags did not even inflate when I needed them to.

Just sayin'...

Sompthin must have worked Glenn, you are here to tell us about it :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wallyo said:
I actually stripped both sides down
Thanks Wally... I've had the panels off enough times while wiring accessories and pulling the tank for various reasons, so that's not an issue. Renewing the fabric could make things look sharper. And, like you, my seats are starting to show their age. I think the previous owner had a cat....a "big" cat.......as I have what can only be described as claw punctures on the seat covers :)

Take care
JD

1 - 9 of 9 Posts