BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All . Has anyone ever modified the front turn signal lights by adding a second " driving light " that is continuous illumination ? Or, is it easier and cheaper to just purchase add-ons ? If so, suggest a brand, please. Thanks

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
I have installed smd led's into my pannier lid reflectors and the front indicators. The rear part of the front indicator is a reflector and this is where I fitted mine, I also fitted led's in the front part of the indicator along with the lamp and have both on together. I connected the running lights to the side lights in the high beam cluster. I would post photos, but cant seem to get them to download.

SMD led's are the type on a sticky back circuit strip, these are better than the normal flexable type. Better colour and brightness and last far longer, readily availible on ebay. Total cost was around £5 ($7-8) Hope this helps. I can send photos if you let me have your email.

Dean

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I ran a switched 12v from my aux fuse block (only powered on when key is "on" and also controlled by load shed relay) up to the front turn signals. I swapped out the single filament bulb (1156) sockets with dual filament (1157) sockets, requiring a very minor mod to the back of the turn signal housing (easy-peasy with a Dremel tool), and swap the 1156 bulbs out with 1157.

The switched 12v connects to the "parking lamp" terminal of the socket, the existing turn wire connects to the turn terminal on the socket, and ground wire goes to ground terminal on the socket.

SHAZAM! Running/Turn conversion done in under an hour!

If you email me (use my handle @ aol) a prepaid USPS Priority Mail label for small flat-rate envelope, I will send you a couple of BMW OEM sockets so you can do the same mod, if you wish. Feel free to send me your front turn signal housings and I will make the mods and install the new sockets for you if you are afraid to dremel it out yourself.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have the Run N Lites on both the front and rear of the '99 LT. They do a good job and work well as extra lights to be noticed by. Instructions were well written and a piece of cake to install. Probably about an hour job for me to do the front and rear.

You have to remove the front blinker lens and the entire tail light assembly but basically it's just to remove the OEM sockets and install the new dual element sockets and bulbs and tie in the extra circuit to power for the running light circuit and all necessary parts were included.

Extra light to me is a Big Plus.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I don't know if it gives you any idea but I have them installed as you can see on the pic's. Top are fog lights Moto Bozzo's and below day running lights with 4 LED's, found them on ebay is Jokon lights from Germany.

Manfred

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Ditto! It will require just a tiny bit of dremeling out the opening to accomodate the additional tab that the dual socket has, but really easy.

John
bamarider said:
I used the oem dual element sockets for the tail lights and wired the marker lights to the parking light thats in the head light. simple & easy to do.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Manfred, did you take my bike, cool

The kit the is availible is over $30, buy the sockets from auto parts, DIY= $10, works great, have Tony do it for you, he has time cause he isn't doing his springs :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts