BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m planning to order:

"Two color LED turn signals suitable for the K1600GTL
Accurately manufactured LED indicators are mounted behind the emblems of the side panels (the existing emblems can still be used). Change their color when the indicators flashing. The continuous light can e.g. connect to the parking light and the indicator light in parallel mode to the existing indicators. When you switch on the indicators the light will change from white or blue or red or green to yellow.
Due to their thin design of only 8mm, they have an elegant appearance. If they are switched off their color is milky white and keep a low profile.

http://schroedie.de/product_info.php?products_id=165

You can order this kit with the following light colors: white/yellow, red/yellow, blue/yellow or green/yellow."

Are there any US restrictions on the color of the side light. Turn signal will be amber and I think I'd like the blue to be the running light. Bike is silver. White would look good too, but I'd prefer the blue if it is legal.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
FMVSS 108 is the US standard for vehicle lighting. I't a nice "light" read of some several hundred pages.

Your state vehicle code may be more helpful.

Here in California, only the White/Yellow would be considered legal so long as you can convince the right guy that yellow is amber. Here's the pertinent excerpt for the CAVC:

"V C Section 24953 Turn Signal Lamps

Turn Signal Lamps

24953. (a) Any turn signal system used to give a signal of intention to turn right or left shall project a flashing white or amber light visible to the front and a flashing red or amber light visible to the rear.

(b) Side-mounted turn signal lamps projecting a flashing amber light to either side may be used to supplement the front and rear turn signals. Side-mounted turn signal lamps mounted to the rear of the center of the vehicle may project a flashing red light no part of which shall be visible from the front.

(c) In addition to any required turn signal lamps, any vehicle may be equipped with supplemental rear turn signal lamps mounted to the rear of the rearmost portion of the driver's seat in its rearmost position.

(d) In addition to any required or authorized turn signal lamps, any vehicle may be equipped with supplemental rear turn signal lamps that are mounted on, or are an integral portion of, the outside rearview mirrors, so long as the lamps flash simultaneously with the rear turn signal lamps, the light emitted from the lamps is projected only to the rear of the vehicle and is not visible to the driver under normal operating conditions, except for a visual indicator designed to allow monitoring of lamp operation, and the lamps do not project a glaring light."

Tom

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - I was able to pull some Florida information and it said that red or blue FLASHING light were illegal, but no mention of a steady red or blue.

I might just get the whit background to avoid the possible hassle.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,603 Posts
DanDiver said:
Thanks - I was able to pull some Florida information and it said that red or blue FLASHING light were illegal, but no mention of a steady red or blue.

I might just get the whit background to avoid the possible hassle.
Dan, Red & Blue are for Emergency vehicles ONLY. No mater if the flash or not.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Hi Dan: Side lights per federal codes can only be amber to the front and red to the rear. In the day I wrote a ton of wanna be cruisers for lamp color violations. They liked colors such as blue, purple, green, neon green etc., etc. Blue will almost always get the Po-Po's attention cause it's "their" color.....The reflectors on your GTL tell the story.
Rick H.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Yes, blue is a no-no. CAVC even prohibits solid or flashing blue on bicycles and motor-driven cycles (never have figured exactly what one of those is - Whizzer?) unless it's a LEO's bicycle.

Tom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts