BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Side Case Won't Open

We've all heard of the scenario where the top case latch breaks, but what about the side cases?

My right-side case is unlocked, but it won't open. The lock button won't press in, thus keeping me out of the case. It has acted funny recently, but I chalked that up to having something caught in the hinges or outside the "perimeter" of the storage area (if that makes sense).

Any suggestions on how to get into the case, and what to look at for a fix?

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Corrosion? Man - ya' got me on this one.... :think:

Try squirting some Teflon based Tri-flo or PB Blaster in the keyhole with the mini tube that comes with it. Let it sit overnight. If it works take it apart, clean it with spray brake cleaner, let it dry, then dust it with some dry graphite.

"oil 'em, hit 'em, heat 'em and drill 'em."

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
Sounds like the lock mechanism might be jammed. put the key in the lock, turn it 45 degrees, an see if the button will depress. If not you'll probably have to do to the dealer and have them mess around with the wiring to short the lock and open it. That's what they had to do to open my oddments box when it wouldn't unlock (replaced the power lock on it).

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
hschisler said:
We've all heard of the scenario where the top case latch breaks, but what about the side cases? My right-side case is unlocked, but it won't open. The lock button won't press in, thus keeping me out of the case. It has acted funny recently, but I chalked that up to having something caught in the hinges or outside the "perimeter" of the storage area (if that makes sense).
Any suggestions on how to get into the case, and what to look at for a fix?/QUOTE]

Yep, with a pen knife, slide it under the left-most side and try to depress the lever that is there (some kind of snap-latch doohickee).
If not successful try it first on your working left pannier when locked. DAMHIK
BTW I have a 2000 model

1 - 5 of 5 Posts