BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
All -
I know that this is an "old" subject, but I can't seem to find a definitive recommendation. I want to address the scuffs on the two side case moldings (left and right). Over the years they have taken some damage from the beast taking a nap. I've priced the replacements, which now come out to $162/ea. Some of the older threads have suggested that instead of replacing the moldings with new ones that are chromed, paint them black. Others have suggested using chrome molding strips from Cowles. I've priced chrome kits from art supply stores. They come in at about $450.
What has me in a dither is I've yet to find any pictures of what these alternatives, and any others, look like. For a reference, one old thread referenced the Chrome Deep Dish 5/8" wheel well molding from Cowles, but the author did not show any pics of the final result.
Net -- To those of you who've addressed the issue, what did you do and what does the result look like?
Thanks

Registered
It might be worth talking to someone who does wrapping on vehicles. I know I have seen an entire car wrapped in chrome so I don't see why they can't do a couple of moldings.

Registered
2003 BMW K1200 LT (88K on 2020/08/13)
Rickg:

I too have done my due diligence on this subject and have come to the decision to inquire re-chroming the plastic parts. There are several places near me that I will inquire from (Google Search). The first step is to remove them, then find someone who can polish and or sand them down to the required finish in preparation of re-chroming them, just an idea. May find it to be cost prohibitive, but I think it's worth the research.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
It might be worth talking to someone who does wrapping on vehicles. I know I have seen an entire car wrapped in chrome so I don't see why they can't do a couple of moldings.
Wazza - Good idea!. There are a few local companies that do wraps, so I'll ping them to get an estimate. I'll post the results when I have some data.

Registered
All -
I know that this is an "old" subject, but I can't seem to find a definitive recommendation. I want to address the scuffs on the two side case moldings (left and right). Over the years they have taken some damage from the beast taking a nap. I've priced the replacements, which now come out to $162/ea. Some of the older threads have suggested that instead of replacing the moldings with new ones that are chromed, paint them black. Others have suggested using chrome molding strips from Cowles. I've priced chrome kits from art supply stores. They come in at about $450.
What has me in a dither is I've yet to find any pictures of what these alternatives, and any others, look like. For a reference, one old thread referenced the Chrome Deep Dish 5/8" wheel well molding from Cowles, but the author did not show any pics of the final result.
Net -- To those of you who've addressed the issue, what did you do and what does the result look like?
Thanks
I have a 04 LTC with the chrome trim The previous owner probably dropped it on the right side scratching up the trim on the right side. So he painted them flat black with a rough finish. Truthfully. They look better that way. I can look to see if i have extra trim layin around. I got a bunch of LT junk in a box.

Registered
I have not tried this, but:
UV-Cured Powder Coating of Plastics
UV-cured powder coating is an electrostatically applied coating material. In the finishing process the part is briefly heated and is electrostatically charged. Most plastics will deform when heated and are not conductive therefore most plastics are finished with a liquid paint and air-dried.
UV-cured powder coating requires only enough heat and time to melt the powder, 130掳C at 1-2 minutes, and then cured instantly with UV light energy. A primer is used to make the surface of the part conductive. Because of the low temperatures, fast melt time, and the use of conductive primer; many types of plastics can be finished with UV-cured powder coating.

Registered
2003 BMW K1200 LT (88K on 2020/08/13)
Regarding the "Re-Chroming of plastic parts" it turns out to be cost prohibitive and would be cheaper if a chrome finish is desired to bite the bullet and buy the replacements or use a different solution provided in this thread.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
All -
I'm coming up on a solution, but have two last questions to the forum. I've decided that removal of the molding will make handling of the moldings easier, rather then leaving them attached to the side cases. My questions are:
1. Do you start to use the heat gun from the front (towards the front wheel) and remove the molding going backward toward the tab in the rear, or from the tab going forward?
2. When reattaching the molding, what type of dual sided tape was used and what size? 3M makes various types of dual sided tape. I have a supply of 3M 10 mm VHB 4229P that I found was effective for a LED mounting project. I'm assuming that I will require 2 strips of tape per molding for reattachment.

Once I finalize, I'll post PICs as well as documentation about what I did and how.

Registered
Search for Skinned Knuckles: Electroplate It Yourself - Jay Leno's Garage

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Skinned Knuckles: Electroplate It Yourself - Jay Leno's Garage
Good idea, if only the moldings were made of metal. Unfortunately, looks to be some type of plastic with a chrome Mylar.

Registered
I saw a video with Jay Leno and a guest and they made a wooden plane look like chrome. I couldn't find that video. They were using all kinds of different materials.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts