BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having someone do some painting and repair dings in my side cases. I don't want to leave the bike and risk having someone drop her moving it around the shop. What I thought were torque fastners on the bottom of the side cases - on closer inspection appear to be rivets. So how do I take off the side case lids?

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Just drill those rivets out Doug. Then when you reassemble the side-cases you can either put rivets back in, or (what I did) replace the rivets with nuts & bolts! Use self locking nuts and you will be ready to go without worry. Plus if you or any future owner decides to re-paint, life will be much simpler.

John

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I removed the side case and the rivets with a drill and had mine painted on my 00 LT before I sold her.

I went to harbor and for $5 purchased a rivet gun that had the size I needed.

I ordered the BMW rivits while I was waiting for the paint to dry at the paint shop before a friend told me to do it at harbot freight.

O am glad I learned how to rivit because now I am handy at riviting and can use my rivit skills around the house, like riviting the kids into their chairs so they will study :histerica

1 - 3 of 3 Posts