BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and didn't find an answer to a question I have. Is there a way to get at the sliding latch plate/strip that locks the sidecase shut on a 2005 RT? When I push the sidecase lock button is releases the latch, but the latch itself is very difficult to move. I am hoping there is a way to get at the plate that holds the latch pins to lube it. Thanks in advance......Rick

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Ahhhh, one of the tough ones.

Yes, is the bottom line on your great question. No, I cannot tell you how to do it myself.

This thread from BMW Sport Touring goes on for 5 pages but there is an answer in there somewhere.
http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=728020&page=1

My personal approach is to do as one of the guys back in page one says... Take the Teflon Spray Lube with a the tiny spray tube and lube the crap out of everything in sight. Then clean up the mess and I'll bet it is better.

If you want to tackle the dismemberment... go for it and let us hear how it goes. It is not easy.

As a tip... I recommend being really careful if you have loose bits hanging around inside your side case. If one finger of one glove liner gets out of bounds and ends up trapped in the cover... as you close it... you may find it really difficult to open the latch after you go all muscle on it closing it ... to the point that it will feel like it is going to break off in your hand. It may come open, it may not.

You do not have to ask me how I know this.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Rick - If you remove the myriad screws from the inside of the case you can pull the inner liner off to expose the guts of the thing. Once inside you can find where the rub points are and lube them.

But - beware, there are lots of springs, linkages and all sorts of things that go Sproing! when you do so. I've had mine apart a couple of times to install some Bungee Buddies and it's not for the faint of heart. Once you figure out how they all go together it's pretty logical and straightforward, but by simply looking at the linkage in pieces on your workbench it's not intuitive. Definitely only take one side apart at a time so you can carefully disassemble the second one to see how the first one goes back together. The danger is that you assemble it wrong and then can't get it to unlatch.

And - there are two different length screws that attach the inner liner to the outer liner. If you don't remember which goes where you'll drive the too-long screw through the outer case. Not good. Like Hopz, you don't have to ask how I know this.

I'd suggest that unless you like a challenge, spray lube the hell out of everything from the outside and hope that works.

JayJay

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys. I figured by just looking at the inside of the bag it was not an easy job, but I have two questions. First, there are a couple of screws on the inside on the top of the case that look like they may hold the latch mechanisum in place. do those two screws have to come out to remove the liner or can they stay in place to hold things together until it is apart? Second, will things really go "sprong" when I take the inner case away from the outer case? Is there anyway to stop that from happening? Thanks again......Rick

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Please take a look at the link I refer you to... I think there are answers there.

May I suggest... Google is your friend.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Having taken a side case apart to replace a broken latch, the piece that locks the case to the bike, I can tell you that it is a difficult, frustrating job.
I used the parts filch from Bob's BMW as a guide to the pieces but there are a couple of small parts that if assembled wrong will prevent the lock from working.
That said, it is a job that can be done if you are patient and use a diagram to mark the location of the pieces and screws as you remove them. I spread a moving quilt out on my kitchen counter so I'd have a convenient height work space and plenty of light and wouldn't scratch the lid as I worked.
However; if you can afford it, let the dealer do it. Most of them have some experience with this and if the price is anywhere near your budget it's well worth it.
Just mho.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Ric said:
Thanks for the replies guys. I figured by just looking at the inside of the bag it was not an easy job, but I have two questions. First, there are a couple of screws on the inside on the top of the case that look like they may hold the latch mechanisum in place. do those two screws have to come out to remove the liner or can they stay in place to hold things together until it is apart?
Those two screws hold the lockset so that it doesn't rotate. Yes, they have to be removed to get the liner out. And you have to line the lockset up just right and push the screws through from the liner to the outer case when you reassemble. If you let the lockset rotate you will lose the small linkage that goes between it and the actual release bar and you're scrod at that point.
Second, will things really go "sprong" when I take the inner case away from the outer case?
If you've done it before and you know how to tease things apart, you may be able to avoid sprong. But if you haven't there probably isn't a way to avoid it, it will just naturally happen
Is there anyway to stop that from happening?
Luck, care, experience. None of which I have in great abundance most of the time.
Thanks again......Rick
Look at the link that Hopz posted. On the second page of that discussion there's a photo of the linkage mechanism showing where everything goes. Good luck.

JayJay

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again everyone. With the info and pics that are in the provided link I will give this a shot and see where it all goes. I contribute a ton of money to my dealer already re my GTL and if I can save some money on my kids RT I like to make a run at it. What's the worst that can happen anyway????

Rick H.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
I want to thank you guys for this topic.
I just put down my laptop and went into the garage where my RT is parked.
Pulled out the spray silicone lube and hit the side bags with spray. There is now a noticeable improvement in the latches and an added ease to the opening effort.
115f in the garage right now. A nice dry heat. :wave

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
ATDRS said:
Pulled out the spray silicone lube and hit the side bags with spray. There is now a noticeable improvement in the latches and an added ease to the opening effort.
:D

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I took the bags apart and I must say it wasn't a bad job at all. I like to think I have seen a lot of strange stuff, but that is some design work that went into the mechanics for the latch and lock work for the sidebags. I cleaned and lubed what I could but I was somewhat disappointed that I could not see a way to get the "strips" off the inner bag liners to properly clean and lube them. It appears they are held on with pop rivets and I didn't want to take them off and have to re-revet. Unfortunately, I didn't notice a real differnece in latch opening effort when I was finished which kind of suprised me. I know everything is lubed so I guess it is what it is, unless someone has anyother ideas. Thanks again for the help.......Rick

1 - 12 of 12 Posts