BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wish I could say its been a great experience but, alas, that is not the case. I have gone thru 3 clutches in 12k miles with an 06 k1200lt and a Hannigan sidecar. Any body else have this set up? I have yet to see another such setup tho I'm told they are out there. Would love to hear from anyone who can relate. Thanks for your time ... Don Richardson.. BMWMOA Ambassador. ps... it should be noted that all the clutches came out dry.. so its not a leakage problem...

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Can't say anything about sidecars, but I burnt out 1 clutch (no leaks) at 16,000km without any attachments, a few others have posted similar. I blame it on riding style coming to the LT and having to re-learn a few things due to the overall weight.

3 is seriously bad karma...

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Bought my '01 (see avatar) last year with 7800+ miles on it. I have probably put 3K or so on it with the hack attached with no problems. Don't know how many hack miles by previous owners. I wonder if you might be revving the engine a bit too high thereby building the heat up and either glazing or shredding the clutch plate

You can start out without exceeding 1500-2000 RPM on the tach. The hack is heavy with a significant frontal area. Gas mileage suffers a fair amount but it allows 2 things. 1.) The bike doesn't "tip" which keeps my wife happier, and 2.) It allows the opportunity to haul the freight (camping gear/Boston Terrier etc with the option of a quick conversion back to the thoroughbred in quick order

Hope you can get this sorted

Loren

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Hi Don , I have around 40,000 miles on out '02 K1200LT/Hannigan 2+2 . I had a leak in the input shaft seal that took out my clutch last year , then this year the input shaft's bearings when out taking the clutch with it .I think the bearings were starting to go last year , but I didn't notice it when I had it apart ... So I have gone thru 2 clutches , but they were not worn out ...Just oiled up .

But anyway , the lt clutch doesn't in gaged until the handle is almost all the way out . you don't need too rev it up to take off . As you start moving let it out all the way . You may want to pratice it with out a passenger , so they don't get wiplash when you stall it . Buy you want low revs (1,500 or so ),& the least amout of slippage of the clutch . Just get it rolling ,& let it out .... Hope this is of some help ...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you One and all for your response. Maybe I am contributing in some way to my own demise but I have been sidecaring for 10 years and about 100k without incident til this. I'm leaving for Oregon tomorrow and I'll try to apply your ideas/suggestions to my riding style. Hope it does turn out to just be me needing some correction.. we'll see. Again.. Thanks all

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Looking forward to seeing you in Redmond, Don. I hope you have a cooling vest, refrigerated skivvies, a cool outlook on life, or something to keep you cool on your trip. It was just under 100* F here in the Portland, OR area. It's always hotter in Redmond than in Portland. Except in winter when It's unbelievably cold!

Take care out there!

Loren

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
fpmlt said:
Yeah, but it's a "dry" heat ;)

Absolutely correct. It is MUCH less humid than the Midwest or Right Coast but 100* is still HOT!

Evaporative cooling vests should work great. Much better than areas of high humidity.

BTW what is your travel time to Redmond? Mine's about 2:45. Pretty brutal, but I'll manage. :)

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
fpmlt said:
My travel time? About 12 minutes on the LT. 9 on the FZ1 :p
I'll endeavor to endure.
Pace yourself Frank! No shame in making a couple stops to shake out the cobwebs, have a donut or sandwich or two with some strong black coffee!!! Be sure to travel early mornings so you don't over heat!!! :histerica

Loren

1 - 10 of 10 Posts