BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being bone idle, I haven't searched . . .

but, my side and centre stands are very rusty and sticky due to all the salt we get here in the UK. The electro hydraulic centre stand works fine (2005 bike) but doesn't retract fully, neither does the side stand unless I kick them. I want to lube both of them, and paint the rusty steel. Any thoughts on doing this before I get stuck into it.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
That is what many owners of old Porsches, and I am sure other classic cars, are using.
I just got my kit to clean and rust-proof the interior of my 86 Carrera after removing the old carpet and glue.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,907 Posts
The center stand pivot area on each side is sealed by two o-rings. Once you heat (loctite) the bolts and remove them use the clip to pry out the pivot plug. Clean, lube and re-assemble and your hydraulic center stand will thank you. Do it first then do the side stand.

Tough part is removing the springs on both stands. I cut a block of wood to fit over the foot of the CS and cut a notch in it to hold a 1/2 steel rod. The rod has a hook fashioned on it from 0.040" safety wire (bailing wire). I then lever the spring free of the stand safely. I'll post some pics later.

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
jzeiler said:
Tough part is removing the springs on both stands.

I have not done this, but have seen pictures where you place large washers or coins between all springs before removing them. Makes it a lot easier to replace if you don't have the special tool for removal.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I just replaced the center stand. The pennys or washers werent enough to spread the spring wide open, but they helped. Getting the spring off was fairly easy, putting it back on was a real PITA. I used a rope (recoil starter cord) looped and a long pry bar for leverage. Sure would have been nice to have a helper, but I didn't have one.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. I've finally had a chance to look in my Clymer manual. The sidestand is easy to lube - it's got grease nipples on it. The centre stand appears to be a lot more complex - I've got to suspend the bike (electro hydraulic stand) so I can work on/remove it. Anyone know if this is necessary??

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,907 Posts
It is easier Woolly, with the bike verticle and the front wheel in a chock. But I have done it on the side stand before though with no problems.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I would use CorrosionX, which is like WD-40 with steroids. I don't know how available it is over there. In the US you get it at most True Value stores.

·
Miles of Smiles
1,052 Posts
Hi Brian, + 1 on using coins or metal packers between the spring coils. I've lubed the centre stand twice now and this system worked well. It still requires a little effort to fully remove and replace the spring but isn't too hard. Take care not to over heat the bolts to soften up the locktite, there are 2 rubber O rings in there.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts