BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want pic,s & details please. i know lttrunklatch.com makes a great product. just looking for options.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Show me yours first then I'll show you mine :)

Not sure if this is the infamous trunk latch break. Been that way since I got it, been working fine for about 15K, isn't getting worse. Previous owner said he glued it, just assuming it is epoxied.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Yep, thats the infamous "broken latch".
Replaced mine before it got that bad, with one of Evan Guy's indestructible ones.
some pics here.
Its fiddly, you need to read through, understand, and follow the instructions carefully.
Maybe I should put my "lightly broken" one on Ebay...... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Mine looks like that also. What causes it? The previous owner thought someone had tried to break into the top case.
Bo

·
Registered
155 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm new to the K1200, but looking at the latch on my LT, I'd guess the reason it might break is if the top case is loaded with something bulky and the latch is forced to try to pull the lid shut. The tabs cast on the back side of the latch extend about 1 1/2" and appear to be about where the break is in the photos. I'd bet if a latch was never forced to lever the lid shut and if the pins on the lid or the latches themselves have just a little lubricant the latch would last indefinitely.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
also check to see if your pins are partially "cut through", this is a good indicator that you are forcing the trunk latches when closing..

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks Evan. I see from your web site what has broken on my latch and why. I guess Ill be ordering a replacement soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts