BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,376 Posts
Check out our Finnish friend Ari and what he has done to his dash. [The cockpit tour]

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Wow!
My ride is not pristine by a long shot, and I did modify the "dash" a little bit.
I removed the radio, and speakers, and changed out my headlight to the Ducati Design Dual headlights... and added a number of USB ports, 12 volt ports, and some switches to turn stuff on, or off. I also removed the rear box and have a Corbin Smuggler® box, or a rear rack for local trips.
I kept all the stuff I removed in case I give the bike away down the road if someone wants to put back to the way it was.
Speedometer Motor vehicle Tachometer Gauge Trip computer

I leave all the auxiliary lights on when I ride. The ZTechnik 5150 Side Marker Lights came with a beefy switch housing!

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Steering wheel Tool Gas

The momentary switch is for the EHCS. I bought a "kit" from John Z. and installed it with a little helpful guidance
from Gordon C. Thanks, Guys!

Car Automotive design Motor vehicle Steering part Personal luxury car

Basic ABS cover I heated to shape to fill in where the radio controls were. My tank bag sits over it and I can plug
in my phone for charging, and other stuff I carry when camping.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Gauge Automotive tire

In the stingray I can fit a lot of stuff. I like all the switches I have added so I can shut off power so the battery
does not drain while I am on the road. I do carry a portable jump starter, a bike jack, and a lot of other stuff when
traveling long distances!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Check out our Finnish friend Ari and what he has done to his dash. [The cockpit tour]
Yes it's impressive but I see a hell of a lot of work for no real gain. I actually think what he has done makes the bike dangerous. When riding you need to be looking up and out, not down at that vast array of confusion. To each his own but that looks like a form of hording to me.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I’d like to see a few set up options. View attachment 176565
Great looking bike, but then I'm bios. Mine is the same color. What I would really recommend you do before dash mods is to replace those rubber brake lines with braided stainless and give the system a good flush with some fresh dot4. You seem to also be missing your EHCS. Have you thought about re instating that?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow!
My ride is not pristine by a long shot, and I did modify the "dash" a little bit.
I removed the radio, and speakers, and changed out my headlight to the Ducati Design Dual headlights... and added a number of USB ports, 12 volt ports, and some switches to turn stuff on, or off. I also removed the rear box and have a Corbin Smuggler® box, or a rear rack for local trips.
I kept all the stuff I removed in case I give the bike away down the road if someone wants to put back to the way it was.
View attachment 176574
I leave all the auxiliary lights on when I ride. The ZTechnik 5150 Side Marker Lights came with a beefy switch housing!

View attachment 176575
The momentary switch is for the EHCS. I bought a "kit" from John Z. and installed it with a little helpful guidance
from Gordon C. Thanks, Guys!

View attachment 176576
Basic ABS cover I heated to shape to fill in where the radio controls were. My tank bag sits over it and I can plug
in my phone for charging, and other stuff I carry when camping.

View attachment 176577
In the stingray I can fit a lot of stuff. I like all the switches I have added so I can shut off power so the battery
does not drain while I am on the road. I do carry a portable jump starter, a bike jack, and a lot of other stuff when
traveling long distances!
Very nice work!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great looking bike, but then I'm bios. Mine is the same color. What I would really recommend you do before dash mods is to replace those rubber brake lines with braided stainless and give the system a good flush with some fresh dot4. You seem to also be missing your EHCS. Have you thought about re instating that?
I took it off last night to rebuild it. Didn't work and I am not sure if it is a bad motor or blown seals. Seals are gone for sure. Not sure where to get those.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Very nice work!
Thanks... low tech. Keep It Simple... I don't have to look at anything, or play with the radio, etc. I have bluetooth in my helmet. My Arai helmet fits like a glove and if anyone calls me on the phone they have no idea I am riding around! If I was to listen to music - which I rarely do - the sound is not bad either!

I pretty much use bluetooth with the GPS and listen to the engine as I ride! Life is good! Cheers!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I took it off last night to rebuild it. Didn't work and I am not sure if it is a bad motor or blown seals. Seals are gone for sure. Not sure where to get those.
The motors are easy to get off eBay and don't cost much at all. The seals are generally just standard O rings and most places that sell seals should be able to sort you out with that.
Just be aware, if the motor isn't running it can be something else. My bike came without the EHCS, the previous owner had removed it. I bought a second hand unit off one of the members here but it didn't work at first. There are a few plugs that are pathways to controlling the EHCS and after I traced them out I cleaned the plug connections and it hasn't missed a beat since.
I know the pricing structure is different in the US but to put things into perspective, when I priced all the EHCS components through BMW I was quoted $4,000
The motor and the seals are chicken feed so it's well worth the effort to fix. Nothing beats the coolness of deploying that EHCS in a crowd of other bike riders. Their jaws usually drop followed by some blue language.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The motors are easy to get off eBay and don't cost much at all. The seals are generally just standard O rings and most places that sell seals should be able to sort you out with that.
Just be aware, if the motor isn't running it can be something else. My bike came without the EHCS, the previous owner had removed it. I bought a second hand unit off one of the members here but it didn't work at first. There are a few plugs that are pathways to controlling the EHCS and after I traced them out I cleaned the plug connections and it hasn't missed a beat since.
I know the pricing structure is different in the US but to put things into perspective, when I priced all the EHCS components through BMW I was quoted $4,000
The motor and the seals are chicken feed so it's well worth the effort to fix. Nothing beats the coolness of deploying that EHCS in a crowd of other bike riders. Their jaws usually drop followed by some blue language.
Thank you, it is on my rebuild list. It is a really cool idea!

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
The seals and replacement motor are pretty cheap! As Wazza mentioned the o-rings are standard sizes.
And, you can easily find a replacement motor... if you test it and find it is bad.
Here is the starter motor I have for a backup.
Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior Font

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,376 Posts
Look HERE for all the info on o-ring and seal sizes as well as a few sources. I also rebuild the units for a nominal fee. PM for details.

Reactions: kbob12

·
Registered
81 Posts
...I also rebuild the units for a nominal fee. PM for details.
I'll highly recommend John's rebuild. Had my '05 EHCS back quick and working flawlessly -- and it really is 'the' unique accessory offered on this bike.

Reactions: Remy and kbob12

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Look HERE for all the info on o-ring and seal sizes as well as a few sources. I also rebuild the units for a nominal fee. PM for details.
I bought a retrofit kit for the EHCS for my '00 KLT from Mr. John Zeiler... it works great!
I am thrilled because it is so cool after a ride with friends to park and not have to stomp on the center stand lift anymore!
He is the man!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts