BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't recall whether the led brake light strip on the topcase rack should always be ON but dimmed, or should only come ON at all when the brakes are applied.
Can someone with a functioning OEM top case rack let me know?

I started having an electrical gremlin stopping my EHCS from working, and I'm waiting on replacement motor to arrive, but I'm not sure that I might also have a brake-light issue also.
I was getting the little "lightning bolt" symbol on the dash when trying to operate the stand... indicating maybe a brake issue.
Brakes seem to function normally.

When the electrics are switched on but with no brakes applied, both the LED brake lights and the 3 central brake tail lights are lit. Is that the way its supposed to be?
They all still get slightly brighter when brakes applied, but not by much.

·
Premium Member
7,819 Posts
On my '09 LT, the top case rack light is only a brake light - no running-light functionality.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Howard.. thats what I thought it was supposed to be too, just couldn't remember for certain.... guess that means I've got a sticking switch somewhere that I'll have to hunt down... but I can hear both brake switches clicking on/off when I activate them, and brakes seem to function normally.
Bit stumped where to look?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
yup.......I believe it's to be in compliance with Elizabeth Dole's requirement for a brake light 3 feet off the ground on all vehicles............but I could be wrong on that....... :eek:

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had to google "Elizabeth Dole" to find out WTF you were on about... ;). ... anyways...

So my brakes work normally, but the brake lights are always partially "on"....
Clymers gives me very little info other than there is a Brake Light Relay somewhere up the front, along with an EHCS relay nearby.

I can hear the brake pumps whine when apply pressure to either the hand brake or foot brake, and I can hear the switches clicking on/off.

Could the Brake Light Relay go bad and cause the "partially on" brake lights, and therefore disabling the EHCS?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,252 Posts
On an unmodified LT the stock tail light assembly only has brake lights in the two outer positions. The center bulb is just a running light and only has a single element. Also it is fed from the ABS unit where the two outer running lights are get hooked to switched power. The LED is only a brake light.

You may have a ground issue in the harness back there and that can cause some strange feed back issues on the lights.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks John, that's useful info. I do have a trailer harness wiring hooked in, although that had never been an issue before, and the fuse for that is good as I checked that yesterday.
Guess I'll have to start tracing wires and checking current, although no real idea what to look for...
but that might now have to wait until after Stoner wins the Aussie MotoGP in a couple of hours..

EDIT: SORTED!!! :D
John's comments reminded me I replaced a blown brake light globe a couple of months ago, and the replacement globe was OK at the time. I had already checked it and it appeared to be OK.
Pulled it out, checked the lights and all worked working normally. I've found another P21/5W dual-filament globe, put it in and all is working correctly.
The 3 x centre lights have 1 x filament lit as "running lights", and the LED's are not on. When brakes applied, the 2 x outer bulbs light the 2nd filament and the LED's light up.
Phew....... now I can relax and watch the races....

:bmw:

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Chris,

I have a gizmo that you can wire in to make the top case LED on all the time and bright when you engage the brakes... easy peasy. Also, I modified my LT's center (centre to you... LoL) tail lamp so it works as an additional brake lamp as well as its normal running light mode. Just needs a couple of piggyback connectors and an extra OEM brake lamp socket. I can put all of the bits in the box with your BakUp and EHCS motors if you want them. You will have to do a bit of Dremel work to modify the key hole where the lamp socket goes in as it is a different pattern than the single filament socket.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Tony... but I didn't want to change the brake lights setup... it was totally unintentional! Just very pleased I got it sorted.
Looks like a globe went funny on me and must have looped back some current, also causing the EHCS malfunction. When I get the new motor(s) hopefully everything will be back to normal.

As soon as I know how that box packs up I'll arrange the postage. :wave

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
cws said:
I can't recall whether the led brake light strip on the topcase rack should always be ON but dimmed, or should only come ON at all when the brakes are applied.
Can someone with a functioning OEM top case rack let me know?

I started having an electrical gremlin stopping my EHCS from working, and I'm waiting on replacement motor to arrive, but I'm not sure that I might also have a brake-light issue also.
I was getting the little "lightning bolt" symbol on the dash when trying to operate the stand... indicating maybe a brake issue.
Brakes seem to function normally.

When the electrics are switched on but with no brakes applied, both the LED brake lights and the 3 central brake tail lights are lit. Is that the way its supposed to be?
They all still get slightly brighter when brakes applied, but not by much.
Mine stays on dim all of the time. :)

https://www.kisantech.com/view_product.php?product=25LED-LT

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts