BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

It looks like the metal carcass is ready to start showing..
Thanks folks

Reactions: Geoff c

·
Registered
234 Posts
View attachment 174261

Thanks folks
You only have 2 wheels so keep the tyres in the best, safest condition you can. If the steel belt looks like it might be going to show then buy a set of new tyres and be safe. Last of all by the looks of the wear and cupping you need to keep an eye on your tyre pressures or maybe the rear shock is stuffed. But my money would be tyre pressure.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
OF COURSE!

Reactions: JanScott66 and Ogre

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Booking a tire-change appointment now...Thanks

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You only used 1/3 of your tire. You need to find a few twisty roads.
I agree. I spend too much time going straight... :)

·
IBR# 366
16,617 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
I agree. I spend too much time going straight... :)
I know a few friends that said the same thing lol they are now just happy haha !!!!! :)

·
IBR# 366
16,617 Posts
I would have one on my 1200LT but never found one to fit..
175/55-17 in a Bridgestone Potenza RE040 or Achilles Economist, along with a 6mm spacer and longer bolts from an old GS.

Bolts right on and works just fine.

Reactions: Geoff c and Ogre

·
IBR# 366
16,617 Posts
I have a couple of the spacers, and I can give you part numbers for the bolts when I get home tomorrow. 👍

Reactions: Geoff c

·
Registered
60 Posts
OK jokers. I have found some brands have no safety margin and other have quite a bit. OEM z8 Metzler ? wear bars to cords showing seemed like 50 miles. Dunlop sportmax roadsmart= thousands left on it. Check itou

·
Registered
'17 RTW; Cobalt Black; Illium barbaks and crash bars; Sargent seat, Aeroflow Tall windscreen.
167 Posts
View attachment 174261

Thanks folks
If you're not planning a long trip, I'd wait until you see cord...unless it's just a chore to ride, then change it...actually change the front too in that case.

Looks like a lot of straight high-speed summer highway miles on this puppy.

My Conti Road Attack GT is looking not that different from this one... after my ride to Great Falls and a bunch of other places...It was very hot on the trip home.

You don't know how much life you have left until the cords show...and I've proven over and over that you can ride on cords for several hundred miles without mishap.

In the end, it's your money and your bike. I had under 2K on PR4s last year when I got a really small nail in the rear. The patch was holding, but, since it was a new year and since Covid looked like it was fading, I thought I'd do more riding in '21, so I replaced both front and rear with some nice PR5s. 2nd weekend on them, the rear picked up something on what looked like a clean road in the middle of nowhere at speed. A good one-man shop in Lacrosse, WI, sold me the only tire he had that would fit, a 190 sport bike tire. It got me home. I ended up replacing both the 190 and the front Michelin with these Contis...and swearing off Michelins for a while until I can convince myself that they don't puncture more easily than other tires. I did nothing risky to deserve either puncture on the Michelins.

Anyway, now I have these Contis and they're square-looking like yours but I think they have more life. Since I've purchased 5 new tires this year already in not that many miles, I feel obligated to run these until they're really done.

:alien:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts